More bad news for EVs

Started by klondike, October 01, 2023, 12:12:22 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

There's more bad news, Petrol Ped did a caravan towing test & BMW lent him their top-of the-range EV with the largest capacity battery on the market, but once it was towing a caravan the range dropped by 60% from around 300 miles to around 120 miles.

Plus to charge the car the caravan would have to be uncoupled &, apart from a motorway services, left outside on the road as there wouldn't be room at the charge points.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 03, 2023, 05:54:03 PMThere's more bad news, Petrol Ped did a caravan towing test & BMW lent him their top-of the-range EV with the largest capacity battery on the market, but once it was towing a caravan the range dropped by 60% from around 300 miles to around 120 miles.

Plus to charge the car the caravan would have to be uncoupled &, apart from a motorway services, left outside on the road as there wouldn't be room at the charge points.
Yet more reason why I shall avoid electric cars as long as I live!
Actually, I'm sure that popular support for them will dwindle up to and beyond the government's hopeful ICE cut-off date now of 2035, apart possible for little local run-abouts.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

welll, another nice mess they've got us into!

October 03, 2023, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2023, 05:15:20 PMWhat about the shopping ? :smiley:
I don't shop - I get Tesco to deliver. The amount of space the motor battery takes up in the boot would make the Mondeo impractical for a family of four going on holiday - they would need a rooftop box
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

LPG cars have a similar problem. I don't think they ever really caught on here but they were quite popular in Europe some time ago. Might even be now - I've lost contact.