More bad news for EVs

Started by klondike, October 01, 2023, 12:12:22 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 02, 2023, 07:19:34 AMI suspect reconditioned means one rebuilt from intact cells from damaged ones. That is just a guess.
Yes, correct.

Most Tesla batteries contain 7,104 individual 18650 lithium batteries, which are the type commonly used with a rechargeable LED torch, assembled into bigger blocks.

While each of the individual 18650 cells won't be replaceable the blocks of them can be replaced.

Just go onto Amazon & work out how much 7,104 18650 batteries will cost at an individual level.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

A man(ufacturer) said on the radio last week that they hope to have the grail of solid state batteries in production by 2030.  This will pretty much change everything in terms of charge times, cost, etc etc.  I suspect this may partly be why Rishi deferred the dates.

Diasi

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Batteries have improved no end. There are now tiny LiPo batteries of huge capacity for  their weight. They do have one snag of course - the propensity to burst into flames at the slightest provocation.

The older lithium-ion ones are a better but there is a reason Royal Mail say they can't be posted and why anything with one in has a great big hazard label on the box.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 02, 2023, 08:27:16 AMBatteries have improved no end. There are now tiny LiPo batteries of huge capacity for  their weight. They do have one snag of course - the propensity to burst into flames at the slightest provocation.

The older lithium-ion ones are a better but there is a reason Royal Mail say they can't be posted and why anything with one in has a great big hazard label on the box.

Yes, as I found out when I bought an external alarm sounder direct from China & it arrived minus it's rechargeable lithium backup battery, which meant it couldn't fulfill it's intended purpose.

The problem with lithium polymer batteries is the very small number of recharges they can have.

No matter how much the scientists piss about with battery development they've not yet succeeded in developing one that can do everything better than an ICE engine can do.
[email protected]

klondike

The problem with lithium polymer batteries is the very small number of recharges they can have.

I didn't know that. Is it because they've caught fire after just a few?

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Given all these advances in battery technology, why are ICE batteries still heavy old clunking things?🤷🏻�♂️

Michael Rolls

because they're relatively cheap?
[email protected]

dextrous63

You'd have thought that there'd be equally as cheap smaller/lighter batteries by now.  After all, they weigh around the same as a wheel, and we're all well aware how many new cars don't have a spare as standard for fuel cost cutting purposes.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 02, 2023, 09:25:08 AMThe problem with lithium polymer batteries is the very small number of recharges they can have.

I didn't know that. Is it because they've caught fire after just a few?

They have a recharge limit of around 300 times.

From what I've read about them they seem to be used mainly by drone flyers & other RC device users.

October 03, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
Quote from: dextrous63 on October 03, 2023, 05:24:11 AMGiven all these advances in battery technology, why are ICE batteries still heavy old clunking things?🤷🏻�♂️
Probably because a Lithium battery going into thermal runaway next to a petrol or diesel engine in a vehicle wouldn't be very good.

Apparently some motorcycles have them as the fire risk is probably deemed to be low risk, until it goes up in a shed or garage.
[email protected]

dextrous63

Good point Diasi.  I was going to suggest putting the battery in the boot, but as this would most likely be in close proximity to the fuel tank....😬😳

Michael Rolls

the boot of my Mondeo contains both the 'big' battery (and I mean BIG) for the motor and the normal battery - which looks a bit smaller the the battery of my previous, petrol Mondeo - whish was under the bonnet as usual
[email protected]

klondike

I was keeping my electric bike in the house but decided that outside was safer. I'll see how long the cover lasts and if it isn't long enough I'll clear out some space in the summer house for it. 

Alex

Quote from: Michael Rolls on October 03, 2023, 09:12:02 AMthe boot of my Mondeo contains both the 'big' battery (and I mean BIG) for the motor and the normal battery - which looks a bit smaller the the battery of my previous, petrol Mondeo - whish was under the bonnet as usual

What about the shopping ? :smiley: