Dark Evenings

Started by Diasi, September 29, 2023, 08:04:03 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 09:16:51 PMI'm not sure exactly what shared neutrals are, though it sounds interesting.
I might have a look on YouTube myself.
It's a common mistake made by DIYers, normally when they decide to add another light & another switch somewhere.

Basically, to save running a full set of wires, they use the neutral from a different circuit from the one they're changing.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 02, 2023, 10:49:50 AMIt's a common mistake made by DIYers, normally when they decide to add another light & another switch somewhere.

Basically, to save running a full set of wires, they use the neutral from a different circuit from the one they're changing.

Thanks.  That explains quite clearly and simply what a 'shared neutral' means.
Unfortunately, it sometimes isn't completely clear whether there is one in the property, so to be on the safe side (I hope), I always turn off the appropriate circuit breaker before I work on anything - our bedroom light, for example, where there are several wires of the same colour in the ceiling rose.
Actually, when I did change the hanging basket connections, I took a photo first of which wire went where and made sure they went back in the same place and grouping.
The house hasn't blown up yet.

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 01, 2023, 10:04:22 PMThat's a thoughtful way of expressing it.  One of yours or are you quoting?

Definitely home grown :smiley:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

JBR - you mentioned circuit breakers. If your consumer unit is fitted with RCD trips there won't be a shared neutral - they will cause RCDs to trip as the current flowing through live and neutral needs to match on the circuit and it won't if the neutral from a different circuit is being used.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 02, 2023, 01:53:32 PMJBR - you mentioned circuit breakers. If your consumer unit is fitted with RCD trips there won't be a shared neutral - they will cause RCDs to trip as the current flowing through live and neutral needs to match on the circuit and it won't if the neutral from a different circuit is being used.
Yes, RCDs included.

Just waiting for my bulb to arrive.  Of course, they'll take some time to grow, especially in this weather.
OH!  Hang on.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 02, 2023, 01:53:32 PMJBR - you mentioned circuit breakers. If your consumer unit is fitted with RCD trips there won't be a shared neutral - they will cause RCDs to trip as the current flowing through live and neutral needs to match on the circuit and it won't if the neutral from a different circuit is being used.
Quite right. 

It was the discussion about his circuits that reminded me to have a look on YouTube where Delroy & Artisan post videos of some humdinger installations & fault finding.

I find them well worth watching.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

My three lamps arrived yesterday.  I have struggled to put them up, on account of the fittings not having been opened for some time.  I'm pleased to say that they all work correctly, and I hope they continue to do so.

As they are relatively cheap, I have ordered another three for the path.

The seventh lamp fitting is high up on the corner of the house and Marge won't allow me to climb up on a ladder (it is on a steep slope as well), as she thinks that it is bound to slip away and I'll fall and break my neck.
So I'll have to leave that one alone, at least for now.

Michael Rolls

Marge is very probably in the right
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on October 05, 2023, 03:45:24 PMMarge is very probably in the right
Without doubt.  Marge is ALWAYS right!
I know that, because that's what she tells me.

Michael Rolls

I know the feeling  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 05, 2023, 12:11:46 PMMy three lamps arrived yesterday.  I have struggled to put them up, on account of the fittings not having been opened for some time.  I'm pleased to say that they all work correctly, and I hope they continue to do so.

The seventh lamp fitting is high up on the corner of the house and Marge won't allow me to climb up on a ladder (it is on a steep slope as well), as she thinks that it is bound to slip away and I'll fall and break my neck.
I had the same problem so I bought a couple of ladder accessories that will level the feet of the ladder & prevent any slippage.

I also bought some ladder wheels so that the ladder scoots up the wall without getting stuck in any of the pointing gaps between the bricks.

It has made ladder work far easier & safer.

I'm pleased that they work satisfactorily.
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: JBR on October 05, 2023, 12:11:46 PMMy three lamps arrived yesterday.  I have struggled to put them up, on account of the fittings not having been opened for some time.  I'm pleased to say that they all work correctly, and I hope they continue to do so.

Your wife is a nurse? As is my daughter.  She tells me fall from ladders, chairs, steps etc., are the cause of so many accidents in older people.   Marge is worth listening to. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on October 06, 2023, 08:22:52 AMYour wife is a nurse? As is my daughter.  She tells me fall from ladders, chairs, steps etc., are the cause of so many accidents in older people.  Marge is worth listening to.

No, she's a retired Radiographer (then taught it at university), but she, and your daughter, are both quite correct.
If I want this doing, there's a general company which we have used before: 'Odd Jobs for You' or something like that.
They can change a bulb, but I worry that they might drop the fitting housing.  Can't cost much.

klondike

If I couldn't change the bulb I'd be wondering if it was worth having. Leave it as it is and when the bulb blows tough.