Dark Evenings

Started by Diasi, September 29, 2023, 08:04:03 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 05:52:39 PMWow!  That looks ideal.  I can certainly send for one and try it out.  Thanks.
Yes, trying one first is sensible.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

You need to checkout that timeswitch too. If it is linking lights on more than one lighting circuit it contravenes the regulations and could be dangerous if it makes a circuit that is turned off at the consumer unit live. It must do that if it controls lights on different circuits as you said it does.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 01, 2023, 06:39:38 PMYou need to checkout that timeswitch too. If it is linking lights on more than one lighting circuit it contravenes the regulations and could be dangerous if it makes a circuit that is turned off at the consumer unit live. It must do that if it controls lights on different circuits as you said it does.
Well spotted, I'd assumed he'd got three circuits split off from one consumer unit MCB.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

He said multiple circuits but as there is only the one time switch I doubt that there are. If somebody has bodged it though it could be a problem. 

If there are a lot of bulbs involved I'd still install the one sensor in the timeswitch output as it would be cheaper and they are obviously designed to be installed outside so would be waterproofed. Bulbs are easier though.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on October 01, 2023, 06:58:24 PMHe said multiple circuits but as there is only the one time switch I doubt that there are. If somebody has bodged it though it could be a problem.

If there are a lot of bulbs involved I'd still install the one sensor in the timeswitch output as it would be cheaper and they are obviously designed to be installed outside so would be waterproofed. Bulbs are easier though.
The more I think about it he probably has a lighting circuit with spurs coming off it, like ring main circuits often have.

But it certainly needs to be checked to make sure it complies with regulation 314.4.
[email protected]

klondike

If they all run off one timer then they have been made a single circuit and only one dawn to dusk sensor is required. I can't see it being anything else but the wording of multiple circuits and the supposed need to drill holes through walls raised a bit of a red flag for me. It should be a very simple job.

JBR

No problem.  All seven outside lights come from the same lighting circuit (and circuit breaker) on the consumer unit.  It is just that the cable from each group of lights enters the building in different places, and I'm not sure where exactly they travel within the building.  
I know that the three path lights enter at one point, three others at another, and a single other at one other point.
I'm sure they must all connect together somewhere before the timer switch, although I'm not sure where.  Presumably in the loft.  When we first bought the house, we had the electrics (and other things) checked over and confirmed as safe.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 07:34:03 PMNo problem.  All seven outside lights come from the same lighting circuit (and circuit breaker) on the consumer unit.  It is just that the cable from each group of lights enters the building in different places, and I'm not sure where exactly they travel within the building. 
I know that the three path lights enter at one point, three others at another, and a single other at one other point.
I'm sure they must all connect together somewhere before the timer switch, although I'm not sure where.  Presumably in the loft.  When we first bought the house, we had the electrics (and other things) checked over and confirmed as safe.
I imagine it will be a junction box with a feed from the consumer unit going in & the three cables for the groups of lights coming out.

It's not electrically unsafe & will satisfy the isolation requirement of regulation 314.4.

Anyway I'm pleased you mentioned it as I've been watching some YouTube videos about fault finding nightmares such as shared neutrals which is an absolute killer that can lurk undetected for decades.
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on September 29, 2023, 08:04:03 PMI like the shorter days with dark evenings, does anyone else?

I'm with you Phil, over here the days in mid-winter are similar to northern England, but generally colder.

I prefer the 'privacy of winter' as I grow older I find.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 01, 2023, 08:10:26 PMI imagine it will be a junction box with a feed from the consumer unit going in & the three cables for the groups of lights coming out.

It's not electrically unsafe & will satisfy the isolation requirement of regulation 314.4.

Anyway I'm pleased you mentioned it as I've been watching some YouTube videos about fault finding nightmares such as shared neutrals which is an absolute killer that can lurk undetected for decades.
I'm not sure exactly what shared neutrals are, though it sounds interesting.
I might have a look on YouTube myself.

October 01, 2023, 09:18:36 PM
Quote from: Cassandra on October 01, 2023, 08:54:38 PMI'm with you Phil, over here the days in mid-winter are similar to northern England, but generally colder.

I prefer the 'privacy of winter' as I grow older I find.
I have relatives in New Hampshire, and when I see some of their pictures in winter I can say without fear of contraception that they get a lot more snow than we do.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Quote from: Cassandra on October 01, 2023, 08:54:38 PMI prefer the 'privacy of winter' as I grow older I find.
That's a thoughtful way of expressing it.  One of yours or are you quoting?

Scrumpy

Quote from: Cassandra on October 01, 2023, 08:54:38 PMI prefer the 'privacy of winter' as I grow older I find.
'The privacy of winter'...  With all your 'trusty' friends.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

JBR,  a cracking 'Hilda Baker'  there  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..