Dark Evenings

Started by Diasi, September 29, 2023, 08:04:03 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on September 30, 2023, 10:25:23 AMI don't like them at all.
I have to keep adjusting the timer for the outside lights.
Our outside lights are programmed to switch on at sunset & off at sunrise, the programme knows what the two times are on any day of the year.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on September 30, 2023, 03:46:42 PMOur outside lights are programmed to switch on at sunset & off at sunrise, the programme knows what the two times are on any day of the year.
Ah, but yours is a 'smart timer'.
Mine's a bit thick.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

You can get a dusk to dawn sensor for about £10. If you want them off earlier you could use it in combo with your timer.

I just looked and some bulbs have one built in now.

dextrous63

Or, you could put your house on wheels and add floats, and keep going west so that dawn and dusk never change.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 30, 2023, 07:28:04 PMYou can get a dusk to dawn sensor for about £10. If you want them off earlier you could use it in combo with your timer.

I just looked and some bulbs have one built in now.
I had thought about that, but unfortunately our seven outside lights all run on three or four separate circuits into the building, so logically I'd have to buy and install three or four light sensors.  Even then, the lights on our path are all underneath trees or bushes, so where could I put a sensor that would have a clear view of the sky?

No.  More trouble than it's worth, so I'll just keep changing the timer every few weeks!

Michael Rolls

line of least resistance  :upvote:  :upvote:  :upvote:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

If I want I can adjust the times so the lights come on, say, 15 minutes after sunset & go off 15 minutes before sunrise & the programme would remember the settings so it's quite flexible, plus I can override it with voice commands.

Virtually the entire functions of the house are automated.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 11:33:35 AMunfortunately our seven outside lights all run on three or four separate circuits into the building, so logically I'd have to buy and install three or four light sensors
So how many timers do you have?

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 01, 2023, 12:23:34 PMSo how many timers do you have?
Just one, so logically I could attach a light sensor near to that.  However, it is inside the house, so I'd have to dig out a channel in the plaster in at least two rooms and drill a hole in a window frame, along with all the restoration of the worked areas.

No, much easier to change the timer now and again!

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 03:27:40 PMJust one, so logically I could attach a light sensor near to that.  However, it is inside the house, so I'd have to dig out a channel in the plaster in at least two rooms and drill a hole in a window frame, along with all the restoration of the worked areas.

No, much easier to change the timer now and again!
You could replace the light units with ones that have photocells.

True they wouldn't all come on & go off simultaneously, but near enough.
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 01, 2023, 04:23:44 PMYou could replace the light units with ones that have photo electric cells.

True they wouldn't all come on & go off simultaneously, but near enough.
Yes, that's possible for the ones around the house (four), but I assume that I'd have to replace all the fittings.

The problem is the ones down the path (three) which I'm not sure about because they are covered by bushes, so might stay turned on during the daytime, at least on a dull day.

I can certainly have a look at what is available.  The simplest option would be if there are daylight sensors built into the bulbs or the immediate fittings but, of course, as soon as the light comes on it would turn itself off immediately!

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 05:31:57 PMYes, that's possible for the ones around the house (four), but I assume that I'd have to replace all the fittings.

The problem is the ones down the path (three) which I'm not sure about because they are covered by bushes, so might stay turned on during the daytime, at least on a dull day.

I can certainly have a look at what is available.  The simplest option would be if there are daylight sensors built into the bulbs or the immediate fittings but, of course, as soon as the light comes on it would turn itself off immediately!
Photocell light units are made to ignore the light from the bulbs.

[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 01, 2023, 05:37:28 PMPhotoelectric light units are made to ignore the light from the bulbs.
Yes, I'll have to look into those.  As I said, if they are quick and easy to attach, and work reliably, it would save me a regular little job!

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 01, 2023, 05:41:05 PMYes, I'll have to look into those.  As I said, if they are quick and easy to attach, and work reliably, it would save me a regular little job!
They do these in B22 bayonet fittings as well.

https://tinyurl.com/bd82swvb
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 01, 2023, 05:45:35 PMThey do these in B22 bayonet fittings as well.

https://tinyurl.com/bd82swvb

Wow!  That looks ideal.  I can certainly send for one and try it out.  Thanks.