We are gathered here today..

Started by Scrumpy, September 26, 2023, 05:53:15 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on September 29, 2023, 12:13:23 PMI fear dementia much more than cancer.
I think thats the same for many of us. OH and I have talked about illness and possible decline, mental and physical.  He has a real dread of needing care, and would be in favour of a Dignitas type of option here.  I think I'd cope better, but it's not something I look forward to.  Within the group I exercise with, two women have lost their husbands recently, one older with multiple health issues, that was half expected, but one in his very early 70s, very suddenly. 

I try to take nothing for granted, and value my reasonably good health, but I'm aware that could change in a moment.   I think living wills would be an OK topic for discussion dextrous.

And Alex is right Phil about your pets.  With regards to ashes, my daughter has suggested a rocket of the firework kind!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I took Sam's ashes up the park.. It is just up the road and he walked there most days..
I took the lid off the pot and tossed the contents into the air.. They came back at me.. covered my hair and face.. 
I walked home.. with Sam all over me and in my mouth.. 
I had a shower.. So, part of Sam went down the plug hole..
He would have been amused..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on September 29, 2023, 12:13:23 PMI fear dementia much more than cancer.

Me too, I have a friend in the UK, who was brilliant QC in his day. I went to say farewell prior to emigration. He was sat in the kitchen, busily talking to his new friend in the Microwave (his reflection).

I had to stop driving back twice, to gather myself together from the waves of sorrow that were engulfing me ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

What are we but our minds? If that has gone what is there left? Horrible disease with no cure. Probably crueller for friends and family than the sufferer although some can become very distressed.

That "no cure" is why there is no free care provided. NHS in this instance means No Health Service.

Scrumpy

Oh dear!!! That is so incredibly sad... Life can be so cruel..
Quote from: Cassandra on September 29, 2023, 05:41:52 PMMe too, I have a friend in the UK, who was brilliant QC in his day. I went to say farewell prior to emigration. He was sat in the kitchen, busily talking to his new friend in the Microwave (his reflection).

I had to stop driving back twice, to gather myself together from the waves of sorrow that were engulfing me ...

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 29, 2023, 12:57:44 PMHave you got someone to take on your animals Phil ?  I think that's all I'd be worried about, my ashes can go in the garden ! :smiley:
Unless something sudden happens to me & a miracle happens to our Yorkie, it'll be whichever of the cats are still alive when I pop off, they're all 11 years old & siblings.

I do worry about it & I have got arrangements in place for the cattery, where we take one of them for grooming, to take them in case of a medical emergency.

I'll have to discuss options with them for if any of the cats outlive me, which I suppose is a real possibility.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

have to say that I am beginning to really worry about the future. My driving licence will expire in two years, when I am 88. If I am still here, will I renew it? Living where I do a car is essential and above all I do not want to move - all me memories are locked up in here and a move would mean junking so many of them. Mum died very suddenly - cerebral hematoma - my late sister lived with her, went to work one morning, came home to find mum dead in her chair. If that happened to me - would anyone find me?  My sister-in-law and I exchange texts every morning, but suppose I outlive her?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Michael... Keep your car for as long as you can.. It is your lifeline.. your escape..
Don't be worrying yourself over whether you will outlive your sister.. It can take over your life..
Go and have a drink.. cheers !!! 

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 29, 2023, 06:00:21 PMhave to say that I am beginning to really worry about the future. My driving licence will expire in two years, when I am 88. If I am still here, will I renew it? Living where I do a car is essential and above all I do not want to move - all me memories are locked up in here and a move would mean junking so many of them. Mum died very suddenly - cerebral hematoma - my late sister lived with her, went to work one morning, came home to find mum dead in her chair. If that happened to me - would anyone find me?  My sister-in-law and I exchange texts every morning, but suppose I outlive her?
Please do all you can to keep your car & your independence, to me giving up my car would be the start of all of me giving up.

As for no one finding you, I could well be in the same position which is why I have several people that I text as soon as I get up in the morning.

They have the number for a neighbour who they'd alert if I didn't either send a text or reply to a text. did

I'm sure any one or two or three of us on here would love to do it for you.

My texts just consist of Good Morning & nothing else & I get a Good Morning acknowledgement from each of them or they would send a text if I hadn't.

I say texts but actually they're WhatsApp messages.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Well, this thread is turning into a right old bundle of laughs😳

Let's have a little break and go for a singalong...altogether now!

🎶Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile
While you've a Lucifer to light your fag
Smile boys, that's the style
What's the use of worrying
It never was worthwhile
So pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile🎶

Diasi

[email protected]

klondike

... and it started out so cheerful too  :grin:

dextrous63

Think I'll watch Queen Elizabeth's funeral on catchup.  Wonder if they've managed to edit Huw out of it all😬

Raven

When I go I want my ashes scattered on wee Strathy Cove. I spend a lot of time there, it's my "go to place" when I need to calm myself and recharge. There's a big rock I sit on and just watch the big waves crashing in.
This pic was taken from the bench half way up the track to the car park, I'm always glad to reach it and sit for a few moments to get my breath back.
Dageus's ashes will be scatted with mine at the same time and we can stay together at our favourite place.