We are gathered here today..

Started by Scrumpy, September 26, 2023, 05:53:15 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

They had a Barney a few weeks back and she hasn't been seen since..
Can you imagine it !! Two old pensioners having a scrap..!!
:nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

One of the saddest things I've witnessed was at a funeral for the husband of a woman with dementia.  She kept looking round and asked where her husband was, and later at the wake asked me to get a plate of food from the buffet for her husband as he'd be back in a minute😢

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

That's dreadful, her still thinking that she has a husband & probably wondering why he's never around.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

She has died since then.  But it must have been a very strange experience for her.

Raven

The last year of my mother's life was awful for us as well as herself, she didn't know who any of us were and kept wanting her own mother, it was heartbreaking, she seemed to be living in her own childhood.  :cry:

dextrous63

Sounds awful Raven.

My mother had fairly lucid spells for the last year of her life and then reverted to speaking Welsh for the last few weeks and phoning people in the middle of the night.  When she was eventually taken into hospital towards the very end, she woke up from an afternoon nap, looked out of the window and said "What a lovely day.  Oh.  I'm dying". Then closed her eyes and left.

Raven

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 29, 2023, 11:39:29 AMSounds awful Raven.

My mother had fairly lucid spells for the last year of her life and then reverted to speaking Welsh for the last few weeks and phoning people in the middle of the night.  When she was eventually taken into hospital towards the very end, she woke up from an afternoon nap, looked out of the window and said "What a lovely day.  Oh.  I'm dying". Then closed her eyes and left.

Oh Blimey. :shocked:

Diasi

I can't think of anything worse than dementia.

I would hate to go with no memories of my wife & our furry ones, but I suppose if I'd forgotten them I wouldn't know I'd forgotten them.

Unless dementia is like when you can't remember the word you're looking for but you know there is that word only instead of a word it's people.

How utterly frustrating & upsetting that must be.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

I fear dementia much more than cancer.

Diasi

[email protected]

Scrumpy

Dementia is cruel.. It takes away who were ... and leaves you being a stranger , even to yourself..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Anyone fancy talking about living wills or assisted suicides?  

Not offended if you don't think this is the right thread for it.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 29, 2023, 12:43:30 PMAnyone fancy talking about living wills or assisted suicides? 

Not offended if you don't think this is the right thread for it.
I'm thinking of drafting a set of my wishes for after I've gone.

Practical things like what I want doing with all our ashes etc.
[email protected]

Alex

Have you got someone to take on your animals Phil ?  I think that's all I'd be worried about, my ashes can go in the garden ! :smiley: