We are gathered here today..

Started by Scrumpy, September 26, 2023, 05:53:15 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

My brother -in-law's funeral is on the 12th October..
He was a good age and had a full life..
He was one of 12 siblings.. !! 
It will be a right old 'do' .. They seem to say their piece at funerals .. Especially the women.. Half of them have fallen out .. It will be tears at the service and 'words' at the 'do'.. 
:nooo:   
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Funerals. Second only to marriages for dividing families.

Scrumpy

Should be interesting.. A bit like a comedy sketch..

dextrous63

When you go, look out to see if there's a defibrillator somewhere.  It tends to amuse me and I reflect that it's probably a bit late for that now😉

On a related theme, there's a crem/cemetery which I've been to a few times over the last few years which has a retirement home nearby with a prominent ad outside stating "short lets available".  This always tickles me😬🤭

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 27, 2023, 11:08:02 PMWhen you go, look out to see if there's a defibrillator somewhere.  It tends to amuse me and I reflect that it's probably a bit late for that now😉

On a related theme, there's a crem/cemetery which I've been to a few times over the last few years which has a retirement home nearby with a prominent ad outside stating "short lets available".  This always tickles me😬🤭
The home my mum was in was close to the Crem in our home town.  My parents-in-law are buried in a cemetery that has older people's flats by the entrance! Timely reminders. 😉
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

Quite!!  It's only a matter of time before someone builds retirement flats/care homes & hospices in an elevated building with the crem/memorial garden/cemetery on the ground/basement floor.  A bit like car parts under shipping centres or supermarkets.  It'd be very handy in terms of having laundry chutes to "throw out your dead" into, and probably more environmentally friendly.  

But I digress into a world of fantasy 🫣🫢

klondike

Fantasy for now but burials could take a lot of land and crematoria use a lot of power. Think of the planet.

Scrumpy

My brother-in-law 89, who's funeral it is, had just found himself a woman friend.. They met up on a coach trip and decided to go on more trips together.. He was so excited.. It wasn't the excitement that killed him.. He fell getting out of bed.. She wasn't in it at the time..

klondike

That's what she is saying anyway. I read years back that lots of men die on the job.  :rolleyes:

Sheila

We've told our children that we want direct cremation.  The children are scattered round the country so we think that is best and they can meet up when they want.

Our neighbour has already paid for hers.

dextrous63

There's the old joke about it taking 3 weeks before they could get the coffin lid to stay in place.😬

September 28, 2023, 11:43:04 AM
Quote from: Sheila on September 28, 2023, 11:40:00 AMWe've told our children that we want direct cremation.  The children are scattered round the country so we think that is best and they can meet up when they want.

Our neighbour has already paid for hers.
That's what I want.  Keep it simple and cheap, and spend the money on a holiday or a knees up in my honour.

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 28, 2023, 11:41:59 AMThere's the old joke about it taking 3 weeks before they could get the coffin lid to stay in place.😬

September 28, 2023, 11:43:04 AMThat's what I want.  Keep it simple and cheap, and spend the money on a holiday or a knees up in my honour.

Completely my way of thinking too. I arranged for a cadaver collection, cremation and return of ashes a few months back. Then a party with outside caterers etc on my next door neighbours Tug, with the ashes spread on the Lake at sunset ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

Quote from: Cassandra on September 28, 2023, 01:27:17 PMCompletely my way of thinking too. I arranged for a cadaver collection, cremation and return of ashes a few months back. Then a party with outside caterers etc on my next door neighbours Tug, with the ashes spread on the Lake at sunset ...

That sounds great Cass, I bet you wish you could be there !  :grin:

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 28, 2023, 09:20:44 AMMy brother-in-law 89, who's funeral it is, had just found himself a woman friend.. They met up on a coach trip and decided to go on more trips together.. He was so excited.. It wasn't the excitement that killed him.. He fell getting out of bed.. She wasn't in it at the time..

She'll be after his house!  (I'm channeling Brian here. 😄)
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖