Metropolitan Firearms Officers Resigning From The Role.

Started by Diasi, September 24, 2023, 07:11:17 AM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

If I ride up in the 'wilds' here I do carry the Magnum 357 revolver as a recommended defence against Bears or 'Wolverines' and perhaps cougars. I did come close to a 'black bear' once but called out to him, so he was aware I was around. He shuffled off to a semi fallen tree and surveyed me with interest, but left us alone. I'm told a warning shot is nearly always sufficient to scare these creatures away. They are by now very aware that we can kill them at a distance too. I find leaving them packs of dog biscuit 2nds, (crushed and sold by supermarkets) helps relationships develop very well too.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Cassandra

Yes  :wink: If someone had told me years ago I'd wind up even attempting such things a month away from my 78th birthday I'd have laughed at them.

I never travel alone on these overnight jaunts (tent stove and chattels on a pack-horse) and travel mainly with Bobo or Annie (ex lady state rifle champion). I keep a mobile phone and our two way radio with my cousin on the other end, just in case and of course satellite co-ordinates are so accurate to locate someone by, we also carry flares.

To sleep beneath the stars is a magic, I just can't explain as Peter Pan said '2nd planet to the right, then straight on till morning'.

I nearly did all this 26 years ago when my late wife passed. I'd have been poorer in some ways, but so enrichened in others. Great thing to torture yourself with - hindsight!

dextrous63

Indeed.  I suspect you can find way more areas free from both light and noise pollution than back here in Blighty (IIRC there aren't many truly "quiet" places in England, and there was a report a few years ago that one area somewhere in the Cheviots had actually managed to be given that rare status).

At least you're enjoying it now, and perhaps more so than if you had moved way back then.  Having seen piccies you've posted in the past and read about some of the antics you get up to now, I'm envious.

GrannyMac

Our son lives in an old farmhouse in Cheshire, we often sit out, with their dogs, after dark, no street lights, very quiet.  Its set in a really big garden, with lots of very established trees round it.   Horses over the fence. No comparison to the wilds of the US, but we appreciate it.

Your adventures sound wonderful Cassandra.  Well done for taking the opportunities and living life to the full.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on September 27, 2023, 09:20:16 PMKeeping it brief:

Murder

The crime of murder is committed, where a person:

Of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane); unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing); any reasonable creature (human being);  with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Manslaughter
Manslaughter can be committed in one of three ways:

1) Killing with the intent for murder but where a partial defence applies, namely loss of control, diminished responsibility or killing pursuant to a suicide pact.

2) Conduct that was grossly negligent given the risk of death, and did kill ("gross negligence manslaughter"); and

3) Conduct taking the form of an unlawful act involving a danger of some harm that resulted in death ("unlawful and dangerous act manslaughter").

Clearly the officer (NX121) has been charged with Murder under the (not self-defence or other justified killing)!

In my opinion a harsh, unjustified and very questionable prosecution reference, reflecting the present reaction of the DPP to the regime of Public Internet Chat channels! No police officer within this circumstance has ever been charged with murder.

These officers have to make mili-second decisions. Surely an inquiry is sufficient to determine as to whether prosecution is necessary. As I always say though, we must hear the evidence first!

This is interesting and probably useful information, but is it a British or an American definition?

I shall find it very interesting to read the outcome of this trial.
If he is found guilty of murder, or even of manslaughter, I should be very surprised if his colleagues and many others throughout the country don't react and refuse to carry weapons again.

After all, it is more than likely, even following prescribed rules of engagement, that there will be legal challenges.  I remember a similar thing happening to troops in N. Ireland being accused of killing unarmed civilians (civilians often being members of the IRA), and being sent to trial for years afterwards.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on September 28, 2023, 10:30:24 AMThis is interesting and probably useful information, but is it a British or an American definition?

I shall find it very interesting to read the outcome of this trial.
If he is found guilty of murder, or even of manslaughter, I should be very surprised if his colleagues and many others throughout the country don't react and refuse to carry weapons again.

After all, it is more than likely, even following prescribed rules of engagement, that there will be legal challenges.  I remember a similar thing happening to troops in N. Ireland being accused of killing unarmed civilians (civilians often being members of the IRA), and being sent to trial for years afterwards.
This is the British definition.

And from what I see in the definitions the FAO has no case to answer.

In the same vein, it seems that the bombing of Dresden is now being touted as a war crime along with the 'Black Snow' bombing of Tokyo by the US.

It's lucky that none of the crews will be alive to face trial if the woke tossers ever get their way.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on September 28, 2023, 10:48:23 AMThis is the British definition.

In the same vein, it seems that the bombing of Dresden is now being touted as a war crime along with the 'Black Snow' bombing of Tokyo by the US.

It's lucky that none of the crews will be alive to face trial if the woke tossers ever get their way.

Absolutely ridiculous, 'Gen Z' are far out woke, wet bigots, everywhere, they were 'born' over here. My baby brother died during an Air raid in 1940. A war started (and the bombing) by the Germans.

As 'Bomber' Harris said "they sewed the wind and now they will reap the whirlwind".

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on September 28, 2023, 12:18:40 PMAbsolutely ridiculous, 'Gen Z' are far out woke, wet bigots, everywhere, they were 'born' over here. My baby brother died during an Air raid in 1940. A war started (and the bombing) by the Germans.

As 'Bomber' Harris said "they sewed the wind and now they will reap the whirlwind".

That's the phrase with which they choose to vilifi him.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 28, 2023, 07:14:26 AMOur son lives in an old farmhouse in Cheshire, we often sit out, with their dogs, after dark, no street lights, very quiet.  Its set in a really big garden, with lots of very established trees round it.  Horses over the fence. No comparison to the wilds of the US, but we appreciate it.

Your adventures sound wonderful Cassandra.  Well done for taking the opportunities and living life to the full.

Thank you, mostly my activities are limited to my 'home' grounds, or my neighbours. Simple things like camping out overnight with one's dogs and horses, like little Albert and his larger cousin 'Fenimore', a Siberian Huskie, that I 'borrow' off my pal are very usual out here. Nothing like catching a fresh 'Black Crappie' from the lake and cooking it on the Shore as the sun sets and sharing it with the dogs and your companion. Waking at dawn with a brawny Huskie, tucked in your back and a Westie inside the sleeping bag! Back in the UK, my cars were very much my hobby. Here I rarely drive now, certainly not enough to have warranted the one classic I bought over with me. In fact my 'daily drive' is a humble little '1989 Honda 'Acty' 4x4 mini pick up (2,800 miles in 34 years). It came with the manifest of the house at auction and I recently had it 'restored', bodily. It never goes off the plot, so its not registered. It's amazing just where it can get to though! If my health holds I hope to get a few years more at it too.

My apologies for wandering off topic here ...

Alex

Michael Rolls

>>Waking at dawn with a brawny Huskie, tucked in your back and a Westie inside the sleeping bag!<<

Marvelous!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Quote from: Alex on September 28, 2023, 02:17:41 PMRoom for plenty of critters in the back of that !  :grin:
Plenty of room for a coffin.  The Duke of Edinburgh had his landrover, so it seems only fair....

Personally I'm hoping to fit some roof bars onto my Aygo😉😬

But, we digress....

Diasi

I can certainly see why you said you wished you'd made the move years ago, but then you probably wouldn't have had the amazing place you have now so your move also might not have been as amazing as it is now.

I do, wholeheartedly, wish you many years of enjoying it.
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on September 28, 2023, 10:48:23 AMThis is the British definition.

I sincerely hope that that is the case.
Unlike the Americans and, incidentally, most of Europe, our police are almost unique in not routinely carrying firearms.
One benefit of that is that those who do are specially trained to probably a higher ability than many of those in foreign countries who all carry firearms.
On the other hand, I think it is important to maintain a suitable number of these experts so that they can be readily available just about anywhere (within reason) quickly.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire