Knock knock, who's for some politics (budded off from Announcements)

Started by Alex, September 08, 2023, 11:21:53 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Weapons Grade

But very few listen, Scrumpy. Too many are content to go along with the flow and it's why we're in the mess we're in. The politicians ran rings around us. You know, the ones who tell us they can change the earth's climate, find a mythical green energy source, stop illegal immigration ... Psychopaths who look us in the eyes and grow rich on our trust and gullibility.

I wrote that over a cup of tea. Basic stuff, but you know why there was no engagement? Because it wasn't mainstream. I didn't say Conservatives would do this or Labour would do that and it threw the people who have come to rely on promises, but the little boy in Andersen's 'The Emperor has no Clothes' explained to them they're being taken for a ride.

Maybe I'll do a short piece on Russia which I suspect will get either silence or shrieks of outrage. I doubt anyone will question the content, they will throw abuse at the poster for daring to go against a one sided western narrative, because that's all they know.

One thing I learned from my years in China is don't try to convince the indoctrinated, even with facts. I say what I say and it's up to people to make their own minds up. :smiley:

dextrous63

klondike

There's an old saying that fits the bill there. It starts off - Those who can do......

dextrous63

Well, quite.

Personally, and paradoxically,I've only ever had one fixed position in that one shouldn't have fixed positions.  There is a logic to that.

But, at any moment in time and in relation to the concept of voting, it is my view that one should take a punt on the best prevailing argument at the time and vote accordingly.

Abdication of one's vote is of no value whatsoever, again IMHO.

Weapons Grade

If it's a serious question, I'm not back in the UK by choice but circumstances. I packed my bags like millions of others and left. Like them, I could see years ago where all this was going. But enough of me, I'm just a small cog in a big wheel like everyone else. I'm not alone, just reading through the posts no one is happy. I just mention why. 

Those who can do ... Do, say and explain it. Those who can't remain silent or don't. :smiley:

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 12, 2023, 09:49:11 PMWhy haven't you stood for office?
I know your reply was to Weapons Grade but it applies to me as well.

Personally I would have liked to be a local councillor but I would have had to stand as an independent as I wouldn't make a load of election promises that I couldn't keep because of having to tow the Party line.

Also I am realistic enough to know that my approach at the hustings would not endear me to the local electorate when I told my rivals to stop spouting utter shite & lies when I knew they were.

As for being an MP, I'd be TV viewing figures gold for the brief time I was in the House before I was barred.

I doubt that 'The Right Honourable Wanker' would be allowed.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Weapons Grade on September 13, 2023, 08:16:08 AMThose who can do ... Do, say and explain it. 

The original gets paraphrased these days and I though it was well known.

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Weapons Grade

Quote from: Diasi on September 13, 2023, 08:48:46 AMI know your reply was to Weapons Grade but it applies to me as well.

Personally I would have liked to be a local councillor but I would have had to stand as an independent as I wouldn't make a load of election promises that I couldn't keep because of having to tow the Party line.

Also I am realistic enough to know that my approach at the hustings would not endear me to the local electorate when I told my rivals to stop spouting utter shite & lies when I knew they were.

As for being an MP, I'd be TV viewing figures gold for the brief time I was in the House before I was barred.

I doubt that 'The Right Honourable Wanker' would be allowed.
Independents won't make a difference. We're a two party country and individually could only make a difference at a local level.

My manifesto:
Increase state pensions to ridiculous levels.
Ban the Conservative Party as a domestic terrorist organization.
Issue ASBO's to front bench ministers keeping them away from parliament.
Make the position of MP voluntary work.
An inquiry into how Boris amassed a fortune of £86 million during his three years as PM.
Support Capt. Gatso and the blade runners in their fight against ULEZ. :smiley:

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2023, 09:10:00 AMThe original gets paraphrased these days and I though it was well known.

That has actually been extended.

"Those who can, do
Those who can't, teach
Those who can't teach, teach teachers."

(Heard frequently at teacher training colleges)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 13, 2023, 09:18:19 AMWhat a great saying.. Never heard it before..
I have lived by the saying for many years - and I never taught!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I gave some courses when I worked for a software company. I absolutely hated it.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2023, 10:01:05 PMI gave some courses when I worked for a software company. I absolutely hated it.
Blimey, yes!! I can relate to that.

I was tasked with doing the investigation talks for staff training courses & I was never very comfortable but the attendees seemed to like me & a half hour slot gradually got increased to a couple of hours.

I used to start off the course by asking for a marker board pen, I then took the cap off, sniffed it & said I never use the marker board but I love the smell of the marker board pens.

Lol, that broke the ice & they all joined in, but I did have a wealth of interesting things to tell them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

They weren't courses that I had written they were pre prepared and I just had to present the material. They were usually a day or more long to paying ciustomers and you couldn't go over timewise so there wasn't a huge amount of time available for diversions without scrimping on what had to be taught. Obviously I had to take a course on giving courses first too.  :grin: