Vet Bills.

Started by Raven, September 07, 2023, 06:57:14 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Variable.

One of our cats, a few weeks ago, had an injury on her jaw which kept bleeding and scabbing over repeatedly.

The first vet, had a quick look, prescribed a tube of ointment, £75.
We followed the instructions for a couple of weeks, but no improvement, so went back.

The second vet (an Australian woman) had a better look and found that there was a distinct puncture wound, probably from another cat, prescribed some oral medications, £70
This time, success.  The injury has now healed up completely and the cat is much happier and more lively, as she used to be several weeks ago.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Vets do seem to have some magic medicines though. At least three or four times - dog looking very down in the dumps and moody - steroid injection - dog full of the joys of spring and bouncing around like a puppy. Sadly the vet said those jabs were only for dogs and simply wouldn't budge on that.

Michael Rolls

must say, our vets were great and didn't begrudge a penny that we paid them to care for Fleur. Had a lovely letter of sympathy from them when Fleur finally had to put to sleep in my arms
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Interestingly, a man (in Birmingham) told me recently that vets are now joining large, national, organisations and, as a consequence, are increasing their charges.

I can confirm that from my own experience, and have just read the same today in the Telegraph, where some commentators have said how they have had to pay literally thousands for a course of treatment for their pets.  Pet insurance has also become much more expensive.

We are aware of one veterinary practice not far from us (but further than our existing one) which is still a family-run firm.  They get excellent reports online from their customers but, unfortunately, they are 'full up' right now.

dextrous63

Marvellous!!

There's a vet in Sale (think it's called Ashleigh) which says it only deals with cats.  Not sure if that means it'll be cheaper or not though?🤷🏻�♂️

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 08, 2023, 11:07:00 AMMarvellous!!

There's a vet in Sale (think it's called Ashleigh) which says it only deals with cats.  Not sure if that means it'll be cheaper or not though?🤷🏻�♂️
Yes.  A bit further afield than the one I'm thinking about in Northenden.
If we find that our local one continues to charge the Earth, we'll have to make a serious attempt to look around at the competition.

dextrous63

JB, don't forget to try out Kiwi nurseries in Sale.  Might be reducing stock now that winter approaches, but still worth a nosey😊

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 08, 2023, 05:33:08 PMJB, don't forget to try out Kiwi nurseries in Sale.  Might be reducing stock now that winter approaches, but still worth a nosey😊
Isn't that a garden centre?  Do they do cats?  😮

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on September 08, 2023, 08:25:00 PMIsn't that a garden centre?  Do they do cats?  😮
Might sell catmint😬

Diasi

Today I've had to take our Yorkie to the vets as she's gone off her food over the last few days.

The vet has diagnosed a leaking heart valve & he's taken a blood sample to check her liver, kidney & pancreas function.

We'll be getting the result around 12:30.

The other blood sample is being sent to a lab who will use it to determine the state of her heart.

To say I'm stressed is an understatement.

She's 14 years old & I suppose treatment options will be limited at her age, plus it's all about her quality of life.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on September 15, 2023, 11:56:43 AMToday I've had to take our Yorkie to the vets as she's gone off her food over the last few days.

The vet has diagnosed a leaking heart valve & he's taken a blood sample to check her liver, kidney & pancreas function.

The other blood sample is being sent to a lab who will use it to determine the state of her heart.

She's 14 years old & I suppose treatment options will be limited at her age, plus it's all about her quality of life.
I can understand your feelings.  We had similar feelings when our last cat, Poppy, became ill and next to death's door when he had reached 23 years old.  Yes, we both cried when he was put down.

I hope that your vet is able to put off that eventual time for a considerable time.  Good luck.

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on September 15, 2023, 11:56:43 AMToday I've had to take our Yorkie to the vets as she's gone off her food over the last few days.

Sorry to hear that and hope it can be sorted out.

Good job it wasn't you. If it was you'd still be on the phone to your GP

Raven

I'm so sorry to hear your news, it's bad enough when a pet has to go to the vet but when it's an oldie it's so much worse. Dageus actually needs to go under as his eyes are not draining properly, but because of his age I won't let him. It was bad enough the last time he was put out, so I just keep wiping the gunk away several times a day. I really hope it all goes well.

dextrous63

Am thinking of you at this deeply distressing time.

Have lit a tea light on my desk as a kinda prayer, without wanting to get too spiritual!

Michael Rolls

Phil
I do hope your little Yorkie comes through OK - such a worrying time
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]