She passed..

Started by Scrumpy, August 12, 2023, 12:53:28 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 26, 2023, 05:19:42 PMNo. Veronica did, but not me
Why don't you apply Mike? Your walking is limited, you need to be able to park close by.  Just make sure you don't underplay any health conditions that could affect your mobility.  It's very hard for most of us to accept a reduction in our physical abilities, but it happens to lots of us as we age.  

On forms that ask about disability, I still want to tick 'no', even though I have two hearing aids and regularly use a walking stick.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Drive in... Drive out..
I am buggered that I will keep going around the car park looking for a space.. 
I've seen cars crawling around and around.. looking.. waiting..
I just find somewhere else to go.. I can understand if it is a hospital or doctors..
We get two hours parking .. It can take at least half an hour to find a vacant space.. I try and avoid busy times.. so do others.. which means that it is always busy..!! 
 I've worked it out.. Older people go early morning.. Mums follow.. Then the 'I'm on a mission' shoppers.. followed by ' I need to look around the town'  and 'Coffee time'.. 
We have a massive park (Priory School) with no parking facilities .. so people are 'Looking' all the time.. 
I would love to have the coast on my doorstep and park up ..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on August 26, 2023, 06:29:57 AMYep, the end bay is the solution but as Mike says it's always taken.  I end up having to push my seat back to get my leg out  :yell:
In the past I had to push the seats forward to get my leg over.

Fortunately everything still works & I can get in & out of our car with just the most minimal open door gap, in fact I park it with the driver's door 57 cm away from our house wall & backed right up to the garage door..
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Quote from: Diasi on August 27, 2023, 08:46:45 AMIn the past I had to push the seats forward to get my leg over.

Fortunately everything still works & I can get in & out of our car with just the most minimal open door gap, in fact I park it with the driver's door 57 cm away from our house wall & backed right up to the garage door..
57 cm !!!   Are you sure it's not 58 !!!

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 27, 2023, 08:53:34 AM57 cm !!!  Are you sure it's not 58 !!!
57cm. I measured it before I posted so that I didn't mislead the forum. Lol

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Diasi

I was so close to the wall once that I had to take my phone out of my back pocket before I could get out.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Quote from: GrannyMac on August 27, 2023, 07:29:38 AMWhy don't you apply Mike? Your walking is limited, you need to be able to park close by.  Just make sure you don't underplay any health conditions that could affect your mobility.  It's very hard for most of us to accept a reduction in our physical abilities, but it happens to lots of us as we age. 

On forms that ask about disability, I still want to tick 'no', even though I have two hearing aids and regularly use a walking stick.
Must admit that I am beginning to think about it. Hate the idea, but when I left the clinic I took a wrong turn (all the corridors look the same) and had to walk more than twice as far as I should have done - took an age and I had to keep leaning on walls and the like for a rest - and this has come on quite suddenly. Six months ago my walking was far, far better than it is now.
[email protected]

Diasi

This seems to confirm the larger car parking problems.

I do have to agree that SUV's should be banned from town centres.

https://tinyurl.com/3m9mjmrn
[email protected]

klondike

The trend of "autobesity" is forcing car park providers to think of new ways to accommodate larger cars, such as introducing wider bays.

I had my audiology appointments in the next town so walking, bus and taxi were out. The car park there was horrendous.

It had been built mostly of scaffolding with 2 floors (top for staff) and the bays were tiny. Nobody could get in or out of any bay in one go as the roadways were too narrow. It was very busy except for one early morning appointment and there were cars constantly circling for a space of which there were 200 iirc. That meant 200 very frustrated drivers, probably countless dinged cars and probably plenty looking elsewhere. Had they used the space for maybe 180 then drivers at least the 180 who did find spaces would have had a lot less to complain about.

I  had my third appointment at an alternate location where I found street parking a hundred yards or so away as the tiny carpark was rammed full. They couldn't transfer me to Northampton so I will be getting a second set of NHS aids from them on Wednesday after a second set of audiology tests. Then I find here that what I assumed would be private aids at rip off prices can be NHS issue aids from High Street opticians who also do hearing aids. Bugger.

Not sure when the Google car went by as it looks empty in this

Raven

When I had my VW Passat several years back I found it was a bugger to park, too long and hung over the bay lines, was aye worried I'd get a ticket but I didn't. More time than luck I think as I'm such an early bird, and got into town before 9am and the wardens were not there, they were just wandering down the road from their office place. I was in n out of the town PDQ.

Michael Rolls

>>. Which? categorised a car as being "too wide" if its width leaves less than 22cm between the car and the bay.<<
22cm? bloody hell how many can get through 8.66 inches? I've checked with a house door - impossible and that's without outdoor clothing
[email protected]

klondike

The assumption is that there will be another 8.66 inches plus possibly the width of the line to add from the bay the other side. Doubtless still a squeeze. Especially for an oldie whose body is less supple than a younger persons. Plus the width of the door needs to be taken into account when judging the gap for the driver's body.

Michael Rolls

must say, that's not how I read it
[email protected]