Welsh Government

Started by Alex, August 01, 2023, 10:57:45 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

From September the default speed limit in Wales will change from 30 mph to 20 mph.  If the change will save the lives of children and animals then I'd welcome it, but how can they enforce it ?

We've got a few 20 mph restrictions, mainly near schools.  Because I know it's a school it's easy to remember, but I'll have to watch myself on my frequent trips to north Wales  :wink:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on August 01, 2023, 10:57:45 AMFrom September the default speed limit in Wales will change from 30 mph to 20 mph.  If the change will save the lives of children and animals then I'd welcome it, but how can they enforce it ?

We've got a few 20 mph restrictions, mainly near schools.  Because I know it's a school it's easy to remember, but I'll have to watch myself on my frequent trips to north Wales  :wink:
Interesting.
Does this 'default speed limit' extend everywhere?  Surely not.

I agree with existing 30mph speed limits in the appropriate places, but what about trunk routes (I don't know if they have any motorways in Wales)?
If people want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, especially on open roads which have already been legally limited only to 60 or 70 mph, won't they rebel?

Will we, perhaps, begin to see speed cameras being damaged or covered up, as is happening in Londonistan?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

It takes a lot of concentration to stick to 30. I'd guess in Wales with all the hills it'll be best to stick in second gear. No time to watch out for the bikes which will be forever overtaking you.

Michael Rolls

is that intended for everywhere? If so, the devolved Welsh administration is even more stupid that the Scottish one!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

We live on a quiet residential street. Its a hill, with quite a few cars parked on either side. It links two busier roads, they are both 20mph, as is ours. Most residents drive within the limit, but there are always those who either can't read or think it doesn't mean them, just other people. 

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

We live on a busy residential street, which includes a bus route and a favoured ambulance route to a local hospital A&E department.
It is generally limited to 30mph, but down to 20mph in places.
Regardless of that, no doubt due to the complete lack of speed cameras despite local demands for them, we see both the predictable types of car and also very noisy motorbikes roaring up and down, certainly after the evening rush hour.
There has already been one serious pedestrian injury on a pedestrian crossing lower down the road.
Does the council care?
As far as I'm aware, none of the councillors live on this road!

A happy Yorkshire Day to all fellow Yorkies, and also to those who wish they were!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: JBR on August 01, 2023, 11:44:39 AMInteresting.
Does this 'default speed limit' extend everywhere?  Surely not.

/quote]

As I understood it, all 30 mph roads will be 20 mph from September.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Jacqueline

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 01, 2023, 12:18:37 PMis that intended for everywhere? If so, the devolved Welsh administration is even more stupid that the Scottish one!
Yes our Welsh government is as stupid as your Scottish one, who is worse our Drippy Drakeford or your Useless Hamza? I think they try and outdo each other for daft ideas, they are definatley not on the side of the ordinary people who they seem to hate and only make our lives more difficult.

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on August 01, 2023, 12:45:02 PMWe live on a quiet residential street. Its a hill, with quite a few cars parked on either side. It links two busier roads, they are both 20mph, as is ours. Most residents drive within the limit, but there are always those who either can't read or think it doesn't mean them, just other people.

We're fortunate not to have the utterly stupid 20 mph speed limit.

No one ever mentions the fact that you have your eyes off the road & on the speedometer for at least 30% longer than you would at 30 mph.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

also, most vehicles will run a lower gear at 20 than at thirty, thus increasing emissions
[email protected]

Cassandra

Kim Jong Drakeford, another obsessed, nut zero. What an absolute waster!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...