HS2 unachievable

Started by Michael Rolls, July 30, 2023, 02:09:20 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Bad link. I found it by search.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/30/hs2-officially-unachievable-red-rating-problems-london-birmingham

I don't know if it is achievable or not. I do know that in the current climate it is unaffordable and suspect that any corrections of the unachievability will certainly make it even less affordable.

Michael Rolls

Thanks K - don't know why my link didn't work - probably die to Brexit!!!
[email protected]

klondike

Now knowing the correct link it's because you somehow added "go" to the end of it. Just like the HS2 problem that made the target unreachable :grin:

July 30, 2023, 03:40:13 PM
The end of the story has a sort of mission statement which I fear needs a little in the way of correction....

"HS2 will bring transformational benefits for bankrupt generations to come, improving connections   leading to constant delays and helping grow destroying the economy."

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

GrannyMac

White elephant.   Donny to Kings X in around an hour and a half. How much faster do they want? 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on July 30, 2023, 08:03:21 PMWhite elephant.  Donny to Kings X in around an hour and a half. How much faster do they want?
For us probably not that important, for a 'time's money businessman' travelling that route daily probably quite important.

Anyway it's not all about speed, it's about the extra capacity so people don't have to stand for the whole journey on the existing East Coast Line once the rain reaches Grantham.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Still think we should cut our losses and spend some money up north !

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on July 31, 2023, 08:18:13 AMStill think we should cut our losses and spend some money up north !
That was the aim of HS2, to enable Northern based companies to compete with those in the South.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

In the age of meetings over t'internet how many people will really benefit from HS2 ?  I don't use the trains but I know people who do and the main problem up here is crowded trains, cancellations, and generally not knowing if you'll actually get to your destination.   

JBR

HS2 should have been cancelled years ago.  
But no, the 'experts' decided that it was not only necessary (which it isn't) but would make us competitive with the European countries (specifically France and Germany) who already have successful high speed railways, to say nothing of Japan with its well-established high speed trains.

So far, it has managed to reach from somewhere near inner London to somewhere near Birmingham.
Manchester?
I doubt it.
Leeds?
Forget it.

Despite continuing to pour billions into it, I am fairly sure that Birmingham to Euston will never be completed.
Even if somehow it is, it will never ever pay for itself.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

As far as I know, HS2 is exclusively a passenger railway. It will always have to be subsidised and its value to the country will be negligible.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on July 31, 2023, 11:46:18 AMIt will always have to be subsidised and its value to the country will be negligible.
Funnily enough that's just what us lot up North think about the billions spent on the various London Underground extensions.
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on July 31, 2023, 03:28:04 PMFunnily enough that's just what us lot up North think about the billions spent on the various London Underground extensions.

Absolutely.  I remember them not long ago talking about improving the rail links in the North...
even in places outside of God's County.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire