unbelievable

Started by Michael Rolls, July 29, 2023, 02:17:07 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Kafak would be hard put to come up with this. Apparently, someone wrongly jailed for a crime they did not commit, and are therefore entitled - quite rightly - to compensation, can have that compensation reduced to reimburse the state for the time they spent in jail and therefore did not have to pay living costs! Totally, and utterly incredible!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66347594
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Decidedly unjust. The story speaks of acquittals on technicalities which this wasn't anyway. To my mind an aquittal is an aquittal. It's up to the state to get things right before depriving somebody of their liberty.

Diasi

DNA has proved that he wasn't guilty.

I see this iniquitous rule was introduced in 2007 under the last Labour Government.

It's just the same as people losing benefits when they're in hospital.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I saw that on the news.. Disgusting.. 
Those that invade our country get accommodation free.

I doubt many know that it was brought in by the Labour Government.. People will automatically believe it to be the party who is in power at the time the story hit the news..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 29, 2023, 07:43:40 PMPeople will automatically believe it to be the party who is in power at the time the story hit the news..
Quite rightly because they have implemented it.

It's like this ULEZ tax. The conservative government supported it and required it to be implemented in London. but mayor Khan will carry the can.