E5 v E10 Petrol

Started by Diasi, July 24, 2023, 08:44:54 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

I tend to fill up at Morrisons which is only a 1 minute drive away but they only have the E10 petrol.

The current cost to fill the tank is £76 but today I had to fill up in Lincoln at a Shell filling station which had E5 petrol so I filled up with that at a cost of £89.

However, on E10 petrol our car computer would show about 33mpg from Lincoln to home but the trip computer showed 40 mpg Lincoln to home with the E5 petrol.

I need to work out if the additional £13 per tank is paid for by the additional mileage.

I do know that E5 petrol is kinder on the engine & fuel lines & tank.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

As I understand it, E10 is another idiotic green attempt to ruin engines and make us all take to bicycles
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 24, 2023, 09:26:48 PMAs I understand it, E10 is another idiotic green attempt to ruin engines and make us all take to bicycles

It's just another scam.

The E10 is slightly less polluting than E5 at the pump but since you need more E10 to do the same mileage as with E5 the E10 is probably more polluting on the actual road.

The Government figures state that E10 has a 1% lower efficiency than E5 but my 33 mpg v 40 mpg isn't 1% !!!!!!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Some older engines can certainly be damaged by E10. Not sure why. Doubtless google will say which engines and maybe why unless that gets marked down as contradicting the settled science or some such.

Michael Rolls

I remember an article claiming that E10 would ruin things like lawnmower engines - my mower gets the luxury of E5 because that's what goes in the Mondeo which so far has done 12,000 miles at 50.3 mpg
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I topped my petrol up the other day..
E5  E10 !!!  I don't notice these things.. The main thing I look for is unleaded..
I check that I am not holding the Diesel  nor  Leaded hose.. I think I'm clever if I can get right...  :yahoo:
My petrol cap is a bugger to get off.. I use my ignition key for this...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 25, 2023, 07:44:14 AMI topped my petrol up the other day..
E5  E10 !!!  I don't notice these things.. The main thing I look for is unleaded..
I check that I am not holding the Diesel  nor  Leaded hose.. I think I'm clever if I can get right...  :yahoo:
My petrol cap is a bugger to get off.. I use my ignition key for this...
A diesel hose won't go into a petrol tank filler pipe, it's made deliberately too big.

Most fuel caps are locked & have to be removed with the ignition key & can only be put on with the ignition key.

Quote from: klondike on July 24, 2023, 10:26:44 PMSome older engines can certainly be damaged by E10. Not sure why. Doubtless google will say which engines and maybe why unless that gets marked down as contradicting the settled science or some such.
Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 25, 2023, 05:42:31 AMI remember an article claiming that E10 would ruin things like lawnmower engines - my mower gets the luxury of E5 because that's what goes in the Mondeo which so far has done 12,000 miles at 50.3 mpg
It's the higher percentage of ethanol that can damage some plastics & rubber seals used in engines, fuel pumps & fuel lines.

E10 petrol has, obviously, 10% ethanol while E5 only has 5%.

E5 is less efficient than pure unleaded & E10 is less efficient than E5 so, mile-for-mile, you have to use more E5 petrol than pure unleaded & then you have to use more E10, mile-for-mile, than E5.

It's all smoke & mirrors bollocks.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

My ignition key can be a bugger to turn on the petrol cap..

All these years and now I have learned that a Diesel hose will not fit a  petrol tank.. Thank you.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 25, 2023, 08:04:13 AMMy ignition key can be a bugger to turn on the petrol cap..

All these years and now I have learned that a Diesel hose will not fit a  petrol tank.. Thank you.
I remove & fit the filler cap by holding the cap & just use the key to unlock & lock it, I've never removed it & fitted it by holding the key, if that's what you're trying to do.

If it's just the key that's stiff, a squirt of WD40 should sort it out.
[email protected]

JBR

I always insist on using E5 rather than E10 for the reasons given by others above:
- E10 more expensive and provides less range
- E10 known to be damaging to some older motors, but even though our two-year-old car is said to be safe with E10, I don't want to risk it anyway.

I try to persuade Marge to avoid E10, when she fills up too.
As others have said, E10 is just another of these 'nett zero' cons being put about all over the place now, and which have absolutely no validity.

Fortunately, I read that more and more people are refusing to fall for these political moves, especially the rules being brought in by both national government and also local councils.  Hopefully, people are beginning to realise that 'climate change' due to how we live, is absolute nonsense.
If the climate is changing, it is very slow and due to causes beyond any of our own actions, just like the 'Ice Ages' in days long ago.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

I didn't know there was a difference in petrol apart from diesel, so I just look for Unleaded.  My car has a little door that I use the ignition key to open, the inside cap is a bit of a bugger to screw, but it's a really old car. :smiley:   Also didn't know you couldn't use a diesel pump in a petrol car - until now  :grin:

Michael Rolls

the Mondeo filler cap just needs a gentle thump - no key required. OK, it maens some loe life could syphon the tank, but as it lives in my garage pas de problem
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Alex on July 25, 2023, 01:29:04 PMI didn't know there was a difference in petrol apart from diesel, so I just look for Unleaded.  My car has a little door that I use the ignition key to open, the inside cap is a bit of a bugger to screw, but it's a really old car. :smiley:  Also didn't know you couldn't use a diesel pump in a petrol car - until now  :grin:
If it's an old car, you're best sticking with E5.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

I'll have a look next time I fill up. :upvote:

klondike

I tend to use a quiet supermarket garage and they don't have it. I think it is only the premium blends that are E10 so you need to figure the higher pump price in when doing any calculations. I'd have to go well out of my way to get it too and really cba although it is certainly just another green scam.