University Courses

Started by Alex, July 17, 2023, 01:50:34 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Sunak has decided to put a cap on 'low value' university courses.
Tony Blair started this trend, wanting everyone to go to university even if the degree was in Horology or Surf Science (Plymouth) :grin:   University is not the only path to a rewarding and successful career, so even though the country is being invaded, millions waiting for NHS appointments and shoplifting is no longer a crime, for once I agree with our distinguished PM.

GrannyMac

Me too.  I'd support more practical and technical courses, and more apprenticeships.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

I agree as well, we used to have it all untill that Thatcher woman destroyed the UKs manufacturing base and it all went abroad leaving us with nothing. :cry:

Between 1979 and 1983 over two million jobs in industry, and 1.7 million in manufacturing, were lost in her first period of power.  For many, this period marked the beginning of a destructive process of deindustrialisation, defined especially in terms of lost industrial employment, and with profound consequences: 'The long, lingering demise of the industrial working class began but did not end with Thatcher.

klondike

Heavy industry is going or has already gone  because of us having just about the highest energy prices in the world.

dextrous63

It was a bitter pill to swallow.  But maybe Thatcher recognised that in an expanding global market, the UK would never be able to compete industrially with the emerging countries with their cheap labour?