Will the closure of rail ticket offices affect you?

Started by GrannyMac, July 17, 2023, 12:58:48 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

I often go to my daughter's by train. My senior citizen's bus pass allows me to travel all around South Yoks, after 9.30am, by train, for half price. The online booking service and the station machines don't have facilities to process these local concessions.

I think this will affect any pensioner who uses this type of local concession for train travel.  

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

That's a pain, obviously us oldies haven't been considered when closures are made, same with banks.  My pass is for bus travel only, which I have used in Birmingham ! my friend who had a Welsh bus pass had to pay.   It would be good if they centralised passes and gave us train and bus concessions,.,......

:pmf:

....course that won't help if the ticket offices close.

Raven

I used to love the steam trains, used them all the time, but never felt the same about diesel ones, I travelled less and less on them as time went by. Now with the price of a journey sky high I refuse to pay it, especially as you often don't get a seat, OR, you reserve seats only to find someone in them and they refuse to move.
Nope, my train travelling days have been over for several years.

Alex

Raven

klondike

My memories of commuting into London to work have put me off trains for life. I haven't been on one this century and hope to never have to ever again.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on July 17, 2023, 01:18:54 PMDo you get bus or train passes Raven  ?
Scotland, and I believe Wales, still issue them at 60.  Here, in England, its state retirement age.  I use mine lots on the local trams.

When we've been in London we've used them on the buses, but back in Scotland, we have to pay. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

I have a bus pass - somewhere. Never used it. Only been on a bus three times (one return journey, one just one way to pick up a hire ca) since coming up here in 2003. Been on a train - overnight sleeper - twice to visit my sister - once when she was dying, and then for her funeral.
Have no intention of using either mode again if I can possibly avoid them, but very annoyed at the arrogant ignoring of folk with the problems others have highlighted
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]