Jasper / A latent orphan

Started by Cassandra, July 15, 2023, 07:16:58 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Albert (my Westie) 'discovered' this tiny chap and carried him gently in his mouth to me yesterday when we were out riding in the wood. I sadly thought he was dead, but a fluttered tiny eye signalled as if to say - "I'm still here don't give up on me." So we took him back, fed and watered him and this morning he was squeaking away in his box. We think he was perhaps a survivor from a nest raid as he's very young and believe principally he was just de-hydrated. He seems to see Albert as his adoptive dad and has been following snuggling up to him, when he got in the little crate we've put him in until he recovers. My neighbour, says he's a Polecat a cousin of a ferret and that we should return him within a few days to nature as they become 'humanised' every quickly and lose the instinct to hunt. He barely looks big enough and no mum it seems to look after him?

Beautiful eyes and surprisingly gentle too.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

So cute!  Well done Albert.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

Well done Albert and well done for saving him.

Those claws look like they'd do some damage.  What a little honey though😊

klondike

I hope he can return to the wild and master it. Certainly looks a cutie.

Alex

aaw he's lovely, I wonder what happened to his Mum ?

1955vintage

Is there a rescue centre nearby?
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

Quote from: 1955vintage on July 15, 2023, 08:48:39 PMIs there a rescue centre nearby?
I imagine that he will be with Cassandra for quite a while, certainly until Cass knows he's able to fend for himself.

And even then he could become another regular visitor & if he's got any sense he'll make sure that he doesn't need to go hunting.  :upvote: :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

well done Albert - and you too, sir! What a cute little fellow
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

He knows when he's on a good thing.. Far too cute..
 Congratulations on the latest addition of your family..

July 16, 2023, 10:58:59 AM

Boris had better watch his back.. They enjoy birds as a meal..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: 1955vintage on July 15, 2023, 08:48:39 PMIs there a rescue centre nearby?

Yes and I have two of their subjugates already. Its run by a close friend of mine and thats why we're trying very hard to ignore his little squeakings, so he doesn't get too humanised. Almost certainly his fellow kits were killed by predators. Boris our resident Barn Owl would have lifted him away, with ease! I have no problem with him joining our family as long as he can fend for himself if needs be - a sort of 'dining member by choice' membership. All my three dogs hop in his little crate to keep him company and we feed him off a finger plate, shredded chicken breasts - with gloves on. I'll swear he smiles at us too. Strange how three terriers have adopted this tiny 'cousin', with complete acceptance.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

Cass, we had a pet Ferret a dear little chap named Frankie. One of his favorate things was to rifle through my handbag turning everything out on the floor and dug out my pot plants.  He also enjoyed having a bath in the kitchen sink, males can get a bit wiffy with their musky smell.

After living with us and no Ferret friends, we found him a place in a  local children's zoo who already had a female and he was more than happy there.

I don't know anything about wild Ferrets or Polecats though, our little chap came from domesticated stock so can't offer any advice as to returning your little fella to the wild or not.

Alex

I just read this and thought what on earth is Jacq doing with pot plants in her handbag  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
I know, its me again    [2080] 

Michael Rolls

[email protected]