Main Menu

Sunak

Started by Alex, July 13, 2023, 12:58:36 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 24, 2023, 05:31:09 PMmight even be better as PM! (apart from the wretched May woman, who could be worse?)
I agree.
In my view, there hasn't been a decent PM since Maggie, in either main party.

The worst of the Tories, as far as I'm concerned, was Treason May.  Almost as bad as BLiar, and never to be trusted again, and I find it annoying that she's still in the Commons.  Who are the idiots who are still electing her?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on July 24, 2023, 08:45:31 PMI agree.
In my view, there hasn't been a decent PM since Maggie, in either main party.

The worst of the Tories, as far as I'm concerned, was Treason May.  Almost as bad as BLiar, and never to be trusted again, and I find it annoying that she's still in the Commons.  Who are the idiots who are still electing her?
Still in the commons & doing her best to undermine her replacements.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on July 24, 2023, 08:47:44 PMStill in the commons & doing her best to undermine her replacements.
It seems that her constituency is Maidenhead, and I can only assume that the people there still seem to trust her.
Funny people, these Southerners.

Alex

Is fishy Rishi growing a pair ?  He's authorised 100 new North Sea licences - allegedly.  Mind you when Labour gets in next year they'll cancel them and he probably knows that  :rolleyes:

klondike

Can they just cancel them without penalty? A granted licence implies that there will be investment based on that licence.

I see the carbon capture as just a means of sinking billions down the toilet and not billions of tons of CO2.

Still no fracking either.

I heard a comment that this will cost them votes. I wonder what the balance actually is between greens and sceptics. Right now it could be the greens have it as the bills haven't really started coming in yet - just a taster and that has been blamed on Russia.

Alex

Penalty ? That won't bother Labour,they throw money around don't they ?

JBR

Quote from: Alex on August 01, 2023, 08:32:17 AMIs fishy Rishi growing a pair ?  He's authorised 100 new North Sea licences - allegedly.  Mind you when Labour gets in next year they'll cancel them and he probably knows that  :rolleyes:
Another fine example of our 'two-party politics'.

Two political parties with clearly opposing views on just about everything effectively taking it in turn to run the country (into the ground).  Whatever one government does, the next undoes it and does the opposite.
And on and on and on it goes.
No wonder the country's had it.

One reason why I would like us to try a new party, better than the 'two main parties'.

Alternatively, ditch 'first past the post' and let us experience 'proportional representation'.
Could it be any worse?

Michael Rolls

well, when you look at the countries that use PR, I reckon the answer, in one of our daughter's favourite phrases, is 'maybe yes, maybe no'
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

The PR proposed by the Lib Dems which we had a referendum on was Single Transferrable vote. As all Labour supporters would specify LibDem as recipient and so would all Tory voters I just saw it as a mechanism to keep LibDems in government as coalition members so I voted against it. Fortunately so did most people. A list system with candidates elected in proportion to percentage of votes cast has to be fairest.  10% of votes you get 10% elected 

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 01, 2023, 12:49:25 PMThe PR proposed by the Lib Dems which we had a referendum on was Single Transferrable vote. As all Labour supporters would specify LibDem as recipient and so would all Tory voters I just saw it as a mechanism to keep LibDems in government as coalition members so I voted against it. Fortunately so did most people. A list system with candidates elected in proportion to percentage of votes cast has to be fairest.  10% of votes you get 10% elected
That is certainly a system I'd vote for (given the chance), and seems a preferred option.
However, which applicants would be selected to occupy the 10% (or whatever) of seats assigned?  Presumably, those individuals who received the highest number of votes.  But then, which constituencies would they be sent to represent?
I'm not sure how exactly it would work.

A happy Yorkshire Day to all fellow Yorkies, and also to those who wish they were!

August 01, 2023, 02:16:28 PM
I wonder how many have heard about Sunak's brilliant new idea.

news.sky.com/story/tax-on-wines-and-spirits-increases-from-today-but-some-good-news-if-youre-going-to-the-pub-for-a-pint-12931539

I can only assume that he's trying his best not to get re-elected next year!

klondike

Quote from: JBR on August 01, 2023, 02:06:52 PMPresumably, those individuals who received the highest number of votes. 
You don't vote for individuals in a party list ballot you vote for a party. Each party who will be fielding candidates prepare a list of those candidates in their own priority order and you vote for a party. Typically the ballot covers several seats over a wider area than current constituencies.

A criticism of this is that it means you are not voting for an individual and it is less local. I'd argue that most vote for a party rather than a specific candidate anyway. It does pretty much exclude independents but do any of those get to be MPs anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party-list_proportional_representation