Not sure I believe this...

Started by klondike, August 09, 2023, 02:07:47 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I see no way of avoiding a Labour government. I see no reason to vote for a party that has allowed or even created the current mess. It is quite possible that there will not be another Conservative government in my lifetime. I shall not mourn their passing. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Labour government makes an even bigger mess of things.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 10, 2023, 10:38:59 AMI see no way of avoiding a Labour government. I see no reason to vote for a party that has allowed or even created the current mess. It is quite possible that there will not be another Conservative government in my lifetime. I shall not mourn their passing. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Labour government makes an even bigger mess of things.
Absolutely.
That depends, of course, on whether people have enough about them to vote for Reform.
Sadly, though, I don't think they do!

As I've said elsewhere, I'm glad that I'm over 70 and have no children.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on August 10, 2023, 10:38:59 AMI see no way of avoiding a Labour government. I see no reason to vote for a party that has allowed or even created the current mess. It is quite possible that there will not be another Conservative government in my lifetime. I shall not mourn their passing. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Labour government makes an even bigger mess of things.
Pity it's our things they will be making a mess of.

GrannyMac

I'm in a Labour stronghold.  Since we moved here our constituency boundaries altered.  The bit we live in was traditional white working class, it has gradually become more 'gentrified' as house prices show. Part of the old constituency was removed, and replaced with one of the most diverse and low income areas in the city.  How I vote is unlikely to change things.

I might vote Reform.  OH is in favour.   
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

This seat is a marginal.  It has had both Conservative and Labour MPs. It is currently Conservative with a 4,697 majority. 

History
2019 Con 4,697
2017 Con 1,159
2015 Con 3,793
2010 Con 6,004
2009 Lab 1,445

As I voted Conservative in all of those elections it is conceivable but unlikely that they may lose it if I vote Reform but voting Reform will do them no more harm than simply abstaining. Even the Tory boom vote in 2019 produced only a small majority so with them on their uppers Labour will be retaking the seat anyway whatever I do.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 10, 2023, 05:57:36 PMThis seat is a marginal.  It has had both Conservative and Labour MPs. It is currently Conservative with a 4,697 majority.

History
2019 Con 4,697
2017 Con 1,159
2015 Con 3,793
2010 Con 6,004
2009 Lab 1,445

As I voted Conservative in all of those elections it is conceivable but unlikely that they may lose it if I vote Reform but voting Reform will do them no more harm than simply abstaining. Even the Tory boom vote in 2019 produced only a small majority so with them on their uppers Labour will be retaking the seat anyway whatever I do.
Ours has always dithered between Conservative and Liberal for as long as I am aware.
The present incumbent, a certain Mrs Robinson (Tory), seems to do nothing other than sit in the Commons and, presumably, collect her salary.
I have, in the past, written to her regarding some current topic of discussion and, give her her due, she always responds... with a pre-prepared, non-committal letter, which actually means absolutely nothing!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Quote from: JBR on August 11, 2023, 10:52:04 AMI have, in the past, written to her regarding some current topic of discussion and, give her her due, she always responds... with a pre-prepared, non-committal letter, which actually means absolutely nothing!
I have written/emailed three MPs. One Labour two conservative including the current one. All three did exactly the same as yours although the Labour one did suggest I see him in person which I did. He was a decent sort of bloke who was sympathetic but actually was unable to provide any actual help.

Ashy

All we can do is join the labour party and change it from within. :grin:

klondike

It is susceptible to being changed. Changed from a puppet of the unions by Blair. Changed from Tory light by Corbyn. Changed from Marxism by Starmer. Sadly none of the changes have made it fit to govern the country.

Ashy

Perhaps we should join and destroy it from within. A motion to wind up the party as a pointless enterprise should do it. :evil: