Orkney

Started by Michael Rolls, July 06, 2023, 07:18:59 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Fascinating. Orkney Council are very unhappy with the SNP's habit of underfunding (as the council claim) local council in order to fund its voter bribes - free university places, free prescriptions. etc (doubtless the SNP claim it's all the fault of Westminster) and are suggesting that Orkney should become a Crown Protectorate, become part of Norway or return to Denmark from whence James III of Scotland took Orkney and the Shetland Isles in 1472 because Christian I couldn't stump up a promised dowry. I had been vaguely aware that Orkney and Shetland had once been part of Denmark, but it was fascinating to read the reason.
Something that I hadn't realised - in the 2014 referendum, 67% of Orcadians voted to leave the EU
Guess it's watch this space. 
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

With all the shenanigans that the SNP have faced maybe they will not be the winners after the next election for the Scottish government. Whether a Labour Scottish government would be any better is debatable just as how they'd perform in Westminster is.

GrannyMac

I don't get the feeling that Mr Yousaf has captured hearts and minds the way Ms Sturgeon did.  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

He hasn't, No matter what you thought of Nicola she was/is a damn good politician, and her debating skills are excellent.

As for Orkney, yes I knew about them going back to their origins.

Ashy

Maybe Orkney could join England and suffer with the rest of us.

klondike

It seems nothing is ruled out. Crown dependency was mentioned as was direct funding from the UK Treasury. The problem for Orkney is that their hand is holding a begging bowl rather that a fistful of cash so they won't really have the luxury of specifying the terms to anybody.

Ashy

They might qualify for foreign aid so they can build a new town hall and airport.

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on July 06, 2023, 09:55:53 AMI don't get the feeling that Mr Yousaf has captured hearts and minds the way Ms Sturgeon did.  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
He's not in the same bullshitting league as Krankie.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]