I'm hooked already..

Started by Scrumpy, June 25, 2023, 11:05:04 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

The weather is so damned hot I find myself flaked out on the sofa early afternoon..
I started reading  The Four Winds  Kristin Hannah..
Set against America's Great Depression of the thirties and the Dust Bowl, considered to be the worst environmental disaster in American history..

The novel is based on a family struggling with all the misery ...
 The writer describes the dust storms.. the land cracking.. the animals thirsty and dying.. I could feel the dust in my throat.. 

Sheila !!!!!  .. or any readers out there might like to give it a go..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GHF

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 25, 2023, 11:05:04 AMThe weather is so damned hot I find myself flaked out on the sofa early afternoon..
I started reading  The Four Winds  Kristin Hannah..
Set against America's Great Depression of the thirties and the Dust Bowl, considered to be the worst environmental disaster in American history..

The novel is based on a family struggling with all the misery ...
 The writer describes the dust storms.. the land cracking.. the animals thirsty and dying.. I could feel the dust in my throat..

Sheila !!!!!  .. or any readers out there might like to give it a go..
I have just bought it on Kindle, I love  Kristin Hannah's books. 

Scrumpy

That's brilliant.. I am not a fast reader.. so you will probably overtake me..
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I am..

GHF

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 25, 2023, 04:16:45 PMThat's brilliant.. I am not a fast reader.. so you will probably overtake me..
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I am..
Ha! I got a little way into the first chapter when I realised I'd
already read it!   :nooo:  It is a wonderful book but I have 
left it, it's too soon to read it again.

GrannyMac

Sounds like one for me.  It also sounds a bit like The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck.  Really descriptive of the time.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I've got my new tablet, will I be able to get this on there ?

Sheila

I hadn't heard of Kristan Hannah.  I borrow books online and read them on the IPad but that does not seem to be available.  Maybe the library will have it as a book.

I enjoy Lesley Pearse books.

klondike

If the search is strict you may need to use the correct spelling. Try Kristin Hannah instead as correctly spelled by Scrumpy.

Scrumpy

It is one of the best books that I have read for some time..
I normally go for thrillers and who done it... But this book was bought for me so I had to give it a go.. 
Every day I get excited about picking it up and reading the pages..
I don't have Kindle.. I prefer to feel the paper.. 
I look in charity shops for books.. and I have noticed that Waitrose have books in their eatery.. Books that customers have left behind.. They change often..
 I am so pleased that others here are giving it a try..

Sheila

I've found some books in the library so I'll probably go tomorrow and borrow a couple.

Michael Rolls

'The Grapes of Wrath' - great book
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Unfortunately I can only find a Spanish version in the audiobook emporium  :sad:

June 27, 2023, 05:39:53 PM
Ah. Spoke too soon. It is there but further on for some reason. I'll give it a go when I've finished the book I'm on (a Rebus).

GrannyMac

Quote from: Sheila on June 27, 2023, 04:11:28 PMI hadn't heard of Kristan Hannah.  I borrow books online and read them on the IPad but that does not seem to be available.  Maybe the library will have it as a book.

I enjoy Lesley Pearse books.
I've ordered it at my library, in book form.  I could get it on the iPad, but I still like a proper book.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I'm lazy. I only read books in bed on a Kindle. I rarely manage more than a few pages most nights before nodding off. I'm still making my way through Mike's crime stories at the moment and there is a chance that they'll last me out. My books get consumed as audiobooks. Nodding off listening to one of those is a disaster as finding your place is a real pain.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on June 27, 2023, 05:50:11 PMI'm lazy. I only read books in bed on a Kindle. I rarely manage more than a few pages most nights before nodding off. I'm still making my way through Mike's crime stories at the moment and there is a chance that they'll last me out. My books get consumed as audiobooks. Nodding off listening to one of those is a disaster as finding your place is a real pain.

Me too, wouldn't go anywhere without my Kindle.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...