Titanic Tourist Attraction Submarine.

Started by Diasi, June 19, 2023, 05:27:13 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

One of the Titanic tourist attraction submarines has gone missing.

It costs around £250,000 for the experience of diving 2.37 miles down to the Titanic, but as these tourists will have had the real experience of plunging down to the wreck, I wonder if they'll be charged extra.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

Harsh Phil, Harsh. It must be terrifying for all on board the thing, how long can the air last and you can bet the media will go on about The Titanic claiming more lives. They say it's missing, but don't these sort of things have sonar and be in touch with the surface, unless everything had failed on board they should surely be able to track it.

klondike

At £250k a pop I wonder where the tourists came from. 

1955vintage

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

JBR

Terrible.
Assuming that sufficient air remains, and that something has gone wrong with the propulsion and blowing the tanks to surface, is there any rescue craft that can go down that far to, perhaps, attach a line from the surface to pull up the submersible?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I'm sure there would be such craft but are they in the area or can they get there in time. With it missing it seems unlikely to me any rescue can be made as it would first need to be found. 

Raven

You will probably think I'm scaremongering, but I get the feeling this will not be a rescue mission, but a recovery one.
It's just not got a good feeling about it.
I hope I'm wrong though.  :worried:

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on June 19, 2023, 05:34:23 PMHarsh Phil, Harsh. It must be terrifying for all on board.
But surely that adds to the realism as the Titanic passengers would also have been terrified.

Apparently there's oxygen for 96 hours but the current thinking is on the submarine having been snagged on part of the wreckage & the communications equipment being damaged.

It'll make a good nail-biting film.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

morty

Trouble with just pulling them up, assuming someone can attach a line .... at what depth do you get the bends?

Sounds like one of the passengers is a billionaire.
Ah ha ... skullduggery.
Best of luck to them. Sounds scary.

klondike

at what depth do you get the bends?

That's only applicable to those diving who aren't in a pressurised vessel. If that's the case with them then they are dead already.

It's to do with the air they are breathing being dissolved into their blood. At high pressures the blood can hold more. Reduce pressure too quick and bubbles form in the bloodstream which is apparenty painful and can be deadly. They have to come up slowly to keep the outgassing slow to avoid problems. I think they have a helium oxygen mix for deep dives as the problem is caused by nitrogen. That's all from memory. If you want a proper explanation then google is your friend.

Diasi

It seems that their adventure is getting more realistic by the minute as the visibility in the area is very poor due to thick fog.

Just like when the Titanic sank.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

It is all very, very scary and I truly hope there is a solution..
However , If people want to spend 'silly money' on doing something 'exciting' they must endure the risks they can bring..

It will make a good nail biting film..!!!!
I have more praise for those young children who's plane came down in the Amazon.. They watched as their mother died... They learned how to survive..
 This would make a nail biting film..  Incredibly brave..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 20, 2023, 09:36:00 AMI have more praise for those young children who's plane came down in the Amazon.. They watched as their mother died... They learned how to survive..
 This would make a nail biting film..  Incredibly brave..

It's already been rumoured that a film may well be made.

Their jungle survival skills were already well known to them as they're indiginous South American's.
[email protected]

JBR

There is a report in the Telegraph that, although the submersible is nearer to Canada than America, the US Coast Guard have taken up the task to try to rescue the people on board.
The report also mentions that the Americans have declined to allow another submersible, owned by the same company who owns the one in trouble, to participate in the search despite its ability to descend as far as the stricken one.
Apparently, their air will run out on Thursday.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire