Stuff that puzzles me...

Started by klondike, June 15, 2023, 01:16:06 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Not the most puzzling thing for sure but I've been looking at bikes recently. Can somebody tell me why...

Women's bikes have crossbars that slope down so are lower when the bike is straddled than with men's bikes.

Apart from step through types I doubt women wear skirts riding bikes these days so why the counter intuitive crossbar arrangement. Alternately why don't all bikes follow the pattern used for women's bikes and save the occasional painful problem.

Michael Rolls

I didn't even realise that there were still separate bikes for women. The ladies I see cycling around here all seem to be wearong shorts or trousers with normal crossbars. Haven't seen a 'traditional' ladies bike in years
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

When created, they allowed ladies to mount and dismount gracefully in long skirts. Surely some 'woke' manufacturer will re-name them TERFER models.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

Women often have shorter legs than men :smiley:   Speaking as a short arse,  I could never get my leg over a crossbar.

Cassandra

Speaking as lawyer you have my sympathies :wink:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

All 5ft 2ins of me thanks you Sir

klondike

I've never tried getting on like that. I always swung my leg over the saddle. It's because I'm getting a bit crumbly getting my leg over these days that I've been looking at bikes.

Waiting for Phil  :grin:

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Ok so here is another puzzle for me.

Door open. Flies come in. The big ones tend to go on a tour of the premises but the smaller house fly size ones fly in a pattern under a ceiling light even though it isn't on. I have about 5 or 6 right now. They seem to fly in a sort of triangle that rotates slowly.

Any ideas why?

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on June 15, 2023, 04:53:26 PMOk so here is another puzzle for me.

Door open. Flies come in. The big ones tend to go on a tour of the premises but the smaller house fly size ones fly in a pattern under a ceiling light even though it isn't on. I have about 5 or 6 right now. They seem to fly in a sort of triangle that rotates slowly.

Any ideas why?
Yes.  Flies are OCD.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on June 15, 2023, 04:53:26 PMOk so here is another puzzle for me.

Any ideas why?

Because you haven't got one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Jsdoin-Curtains-Mosquito-Powerful/dp/B09QKWFBT9/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=fly+screens+for+doors&qid=1686848741&sr=8-8

Raven

Exactly, brilliant screens not had a fly in the house so far this year.  :clap:

Alex

Ashy

klondike