is nature suffering?

Started by alfred, June 11, 2023, 08:46:44 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Of late it seems that the bees,  butterflies,   birds,  hedgehogs,  even foxes ,and  other species are that some thought extinct,  and yet one species  of  butterflies have made a return,  if so how has this come about , is it the say breeders of these beautify insects have  released  some  into the wild, so is nature suffering too, if so what should or could we do about it,.   if so have you any suggestions,

Michael Rolls

I feel we overestimate our ability to control - as opposed to destroy - nature.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Foxes are in decline since the hunting ban. Since they savage young animals, chickens and the like then need controlling for economic reasons and shooting is more successful than hunting ever was. Result less foxes.

Increasing populations mean more food is needed. To produce it insecticides are use and they kill wildlife.

We are the apex predator. More of us means less of everything else.

Scrumpy

My son-in-law lost all his bees... They all died.. I don't know the reason why..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

I've not seen a butterfly yet this summer.   🦋
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 13, 2023, 01:04:41 PMI've not seen a butterfly yet this summer.   🦋

Come to think of it, neither have I. Either here or down in Perth, used to get some beauties trap themselves in the greenhouse, flew in and couldn't get out again despite the door being wide open. Had to try and catch the silly things and put them outside.

Alex

I haven't seen one either, not that I can remember, plenty of bees though.

klondike

We haven't had much of a summer until the recent heatwave and it's in summer we get most butterflies. As another example I haven't seen many wasps or crane flies either. 

Michael Rolls

I've seen a few - perhaps three or four - butterflies and about the same number of bees. Thankfully, so far only two wasps
[email protected]

klondike

I doubt that they were wasps unless they were queens. More likely imposters pretending they are not good to eat.

Michael Rolls

think they may have queens - a couple of weeks ago - I thought that is was unusually early - nothing since
[email protected]

klondike

Michael Rolls

not after getting sprayed they didn't
[email protected]

klondike

GHF

Fewer birds, butterflies, bees, and hedgehogs and more we are 
doing nature a lot of harm. I wish I had the answer....