Universal Basic Income

Started by Diasi, June 04, 2023, 08:58:34 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

It seems that it's going to be trialled in two parts of the UK, Jarrow & East Finchley, so just like with the Postcode Lottery, we've shit out once again.  :grin:

But it's only for 30 people in each area who will receive £1,600 per month for two years & it will be observed how it affects their lives.

Well if the Universal Basic Income is set at £1,600 per month (because that's what needed to live a basic lifestyle), it means that our old basic State Pension is about £7,500 a year short!!!!!!!!!
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

It'll be interesting to see what can't be claimed when UBI is being paid.  Not sure that 30 as a sample will tell the government much.  In Wales, care leavers are already being paid that amount for two years after leaving care. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 04, 2023, 09:13:49 PMIt'll be interesting to see what can't be claimed when UBI is being paid.  Not sure that 30 as a sample will tell the government much.  In Wales, care leavers are already being paid that amount for two years after leaving care.
The UBI is purported to be 'unconditional' so to me that means any other income is disregarded.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I can't see them getting it in addition to other benefits so if they are on benefits with no rent, no rates etc. they'll probably be no better off.

GrannyMac

Any person earning £1600 a month would pay income tax and NI. I wonder how thats going to work?
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Yes - over £1300 income tax. Creating a bit of a stink it seems 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1777556/universal-basic-income-criticism

Meanwhile in their attempt to get their own coffin lid well and truly nailed down it seems that there is a plan in place to impose a levy on supermarket food to pay for recyling the packaging. Should be able to more than wipe out and fall in inflation. You couldn't make it up. Except it seems that the Conservative party are doing just that.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/06/05/net-zero-green-taxes-to-increase-grocery-prises-by-4-billion-per-year/

Michael Rolls

self destruct button seems well and truly pressed
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

If it's paid free of tax it is equivalent to £22,000 pa. if earned.

There have been many studies on this subject so I wonder why they need another one and I am also curious why any conservative would want to try it after going to all that trouble to sell the council estates and all.

Alex

I can't believe the Breibart article, what on earth are the tories doing ?  We didn't vote for this green shite, it must have been obvious that extra costs laid on the supermarkets, would be passed on to the customer.