The 'Infamous' Dam Busters.

Started by Cassandra, May 23, 2023, 04:00:31 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 27, 2023, 08:52:58 AMquite apart from gallantry medals, the US forces have an enormous (by our standards) number of service medals awarded for serving somewhere, so an individual who has served for a reasonable period of time is likely to pick up a number of such awards simply for being somewhere. A late colleague (RAF with a DFC) rather scathingly referred to them as 'Sunday school attendance medals'!

May 27, 2023, 09:05:17 AM
out of idle curiosity, I looked up General (later President) Eisenhower. He was awarded 69 medals! Don't know if he ever wore them all at once, but there couldn't have been much room for uniform if he did!
What some people don't realise is that lots of medals doesn't signify much if they are given out like chocolates, whereas our medals are not handed out willy-nilly and are therefore more valued.
By that token, a VC would be worth several CMHs!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

when you look at some of the recipients of both, I wouldn't agree - by the way it is the 'Medal of Honour' NOT the Congressional medal of honour, a mistake which upsets some of its recipients with its implied political overtones.
Look up the late Audie Murphy and see how he warranted his - incredible courage in the face of overwhelming odds. To be fair, Murphy was America's most decorated soldier of WW2 (Eisenhower served in WW1 and WW2 plus the Pancho Villa expedition, receiving awards for all three) and had he been a Brit, I doubt that he would have got quite so many awards, but the exploits that gained him the MoH, had he been a Brit, I am positive would have merited the VC
To be honest, my only medal is in the turning up for Sunday school category, but I am still proud of it
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

JBR

Quote from: klondike on May 27, 2023, 03:26:10 PMTake a look at Charlie's....
Yes, very interesting, and not one of them for any sort of effort, let alone danger.
All presents from Mummy so as not to make him feel undervalued!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire