The 'Infamous' Dam Busters.

Started by Cassandra, May 23, 2023, 04:00:31 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Once again the BBC (Britain Bashing Corporation) has filled its filthy boots with slurs towards some of our finest Hero's. Commenting upon it's 80th Birthday, presenter 'Sally Nugent' described the epic act of heroism, that was 'Operation Chastise or The Dambuster's Raid', as 'infamous'.

Just to add to this insulting terminology, the giant of historic opinion that is football pundit Jermaine Jesas again used this word that means; disreputable, ill-famed or of ill repute, again seven hours later on an evening show of low repute with viewing figures to match.

Nugent, whilst clearly dim-witted, as a Gen X should have appreciated the utter heroism and devotion to this nation that all who flew on this monumental mission demonstrated. In particular the 53 souls who never returned, many of them from the Commonwealth.

Jenas as a Millenial probably thinks of Dam Busters as something used to unplug a sink blockage. His willingness to read what was obviously a prepared statement without thought or comprehension to the consequences, reflects his dim-witted level of overall intelligence. Stick to the offside rule - idiot.

Perhaps neither of these overpaid, substandard cretins even understands what 'infamous' means?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

"substandard cretins".

I wish I'd thought of that term for them.

I very much doubt if many of the Millenials even know the purpose of the raid or how it changed the course of the war.

I have to wonder, 80 years on from the raid & seeing the cesspit that the UK & Europe's becoming, whether we did ourselves any favours.

I think I'd rather have learned German than be looking at my descendants preparing to learn Arabic.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

1955vintage

They seemed to have only noticed the name of his dog, not understanding its Latin origin.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

I'm glad I didn't see that programme - the TV might not have survived!
INFAMOUS - from where the bloody hell did that foul comment come? At the time, quite apart from its significant help in crippling Germany's industrial output (admittedly to a lesser degree than had been hoped, but still significant), it was also an enormous boost to our morale on the home front - and 53 young men made the ultimate sacrifice to achieve it. I keep trying to look up a quote which - years later, still resounds in my mind 'greater love has no man than that he lays down his life for his friends'. They laid down their lives for us
Sorry - thinking about that, and that dreadful comment, has brought tears to my eyes - SCUM!!!"
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

I'm glad I don't watch the BBC.   When I walked across the top of the Mohne Dam I felt quite sad and proud at the same time.  More so for my dear Dad who walked off on his own, taking it all in and probably remembering what a huge operation it had been.

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on May 23, 2023, 04:49:55 PMI think I'd rather have learned German that be looking at my descendants preparing to learn Arabic.
I think you have missed the likely eventual outcome. You won't have descendents learning Arabic. You won't have any descendents.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on May 23, 2023, 07:25:04 PMI think you have missed the likely eventual outcome. You won't have descendents learning Arabic. You won't have any descendents.
Yes, you could well be right.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Here it is, latest woke insult below ...

BBC gutless and ephemeral as always tried to later say she made a 'grammatical' mistake. The same one that 'Johnny' footballer Jermaine Jenas made seven hours later - what a coincidence!

Obviously both were post-graduates from the BBC school of English Language and not Modern History (as it really happened, (not the Corporations bent re-writes).

I met a few of these wonderful chaps at the RAF Club, Piccadilly in 2001, who were guests of a friend of my fathers, this man himself a decorated Squadron leader at a private lunch. I for once was speechless as one told in a 'post prandial' address just what it was like heading for the AAA towers, 50 feet above the water. He was the 'bomb aimer'!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/22369259/bbc-breakfast-fans-demand-apology-sally-nugent-embarrassing-blunder/
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

I see in the story there was mention of Dresden which was mentioned as possibly being infamous.

My view on that episode is one I have not seen mentioned but seems to me to be obvious. The smell of cold war was already in the air. The Russians were approaching the city. I think it was obliterated as a demonstration to the Russians just what the British and Americans could achieve. Probably more were killed there than in Hiroshima later as the transient population at the time was huge and entirely unknown with any certainty. Militarily it almost certainly was not justifiable but politically it certainly was. The numbers have been downplayed after imo. Would I have allowed it had I had the power at the time. 100% yes. The Germans were reaping the whirlwind.

GrannyMac

Appalling adjective to use about the Dambusters. The level of ignorance is quite astounding.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

well, what can you expect when, on the occasion of the Queen's Golden Jubilee. in describing the river flotilla, a presenter - can't remember who, referred to HMS Belfast, a  6 inch 11,500 ton light cruiser as a 90,000 ton battleship! Really! Even the IJN Yamato and Mushashi - the biggest battleships ever built, were 'only' 74,600 tons.
[email protected]

1955vintage

My uncle was a navigator in Bomber Command. He went in as a bright young engineering student ready for university, came out a bus conductor. A lot of brave young men sacrificed their lives in many ways for our safety. Like all Bomber Command veterans , this advert hit his funny bone and was seen as a tribute  .

Only the British.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

Quote from: 1955vintage on May 24, 2023, 09:00:46 AMMy uncle was a navigator in Bomber Command. He went in as a bright young engineering student ready for university, came out a bus conductor. A lot of brave young men sacrificed their lives in many ways for our safety. Like all Bomber Command veterans , this advert hit his funny bone and was seen as a tribute  .

Only the British.
Great advert, it's the look on the pilot's face when they take off the masks & the co-pilot is still unintelligible.  :grin:

Indeed, one of my much older ex-colleagues in the 1980s had been a tail gunner in Bomber Command & he was a lovely bloke, but twitchy as hell.
[email protected]

klondike

One of my first immediate managers had been a flight engineer on Lancasters. He was a real great bloke. My son got the pleasure or otherwise of his name. It's not a common one and it meant he got remembered.

Michael Rolls

never seen that before - really amusing. A senior colleague of mine had been a navigator on Lancs a lttle later by the time BC had switched to day light raidS. Due in leave, he swapped with a colleague and saw his usual crew blown out of the sky – no survivors. Those who moan over the work of BC, including the Dresden raid, get no sympathy from me. Dresden was a major hub at the time. If you don't like what happened there - look at Coventry, the East End, Rotterdam and shut up
[email protected]