feel rather pleased with myself

Started by Michael Rolls, May 22, 2023, 12:28:29 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

I saved the life of an idiot, and possibly my own as well. Driving south on the A94 about four miles north of Coupar Angus. Single carriageway, 60 limit, some twisty bits, although this wasn't one of them. I was doing about 50, as was the car behind me, who was allowing a safe distance between us. A car behind him doing probably nearer 70 than 60 overtook him, intended to overtake me, but as he drew level with me, he realised that there was someone coming the other way. Thankfully, I was able to brake firmly and he was able to pull in front of me and avoid, through no effort of his own, a head on collision. The other car was probably doing around 60 – a head-on at a combined speed of around 130 mph would have been unlikely to have left survivors, and depending on what happened to those vehicles I might have ploughed into them although I would have been braking hard by then.
I wonder if he learnt his lesson?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Driving is all about anticipating what other drivers may do !  well done Michael.

klondike

Don't see idiotic overtaking that often but by pure coincidence I was a passenger yesterday when a prat coming towards us forced the car in front and us to have to brake hard so he could get back in.

Years back returning from the seaside in a huge procession of cars there was a van jumping up car at a time causing braking and doubtless cursing every time. A few miles further on I saw the van stuffed into a wall on the far side and the speed fan walking about in a bit of a daze holding his head. I remember the writing on the van to this day Chatterbox Caterers. Just checked and there is a Limited Company of that name but newly registered.

Michael Rolls

years ago we were driving north on the A9 - Scotland's most dangerous road, and the idiotic Greens are eager to keep it that way - with heavy traffic coming the other way. A long way ahead I could see a white van overtaking folk, forcing his way in., to the accompaniment of flashing lights and beeping horns. Then he did it again and realised he was a on a collision course with us - driving Cheyenne, a 3.5 ton motorhome 23 feet long, 8'6" wide, 10'6" high, but somehow he had failed to see us. Somehow he forced his way into the oncoming traffic - more horns and lights. Do these folk think that they are immortal?
There was little that I could do Cheyenne wasn't exactly capable of lighting acceleration, and, needless to say I had one guy up my rear bumper, and someone up his rear bumper! We were easily twice his size and weight, and sitting a good bit higher than he was. Had the worst occurred, I would have rated our chances a good bit better than his!
[email protected]

GrannyMac

One of the nearest misses for us recently, A54 from Buxton to Congleton. Its hilly, twisty, and popular with cyclists. Sheep often wander in the verges by the road. OH was driving, we've been going there for years, he knows it like the back of his hand, and is careful. A nutcase decided to overtake us on a blind hill/bend. Luckily no one was hurt, we heard the screech of brakes, and when we got over the hill, the car had stopped, he'd had to swerve to miss a sheep, and almost ploughed into the cyclists.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

In an ideal world, nature would limit or reduce the numbers of these selfish idiots.
Unfortunately, most sensible people give way, when they can, and save the idiots' skins.

The ideal situation, in my mind, is when two selfish idiots meet each other in a head-on, killing two selfish idiots for the price of one!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Raven

Mike, every time I drive the A9 my heart's in my mouth. It's actually a lovely road to drive on but the mad holiday idiots who drive it have no clue and seem to be determined to break all the rules.

Cassandra

Despite all this, my friends back home tell me that the idiot Government, led by 'Citizen' Khan are trying hard to get 'Pensioner' drivers  to surrender their licences. One of them a retired Insurance Actuary cannot understand why, as our age group is consistently in the least accidents or claims statistics grouping.

Today I heard that like over here the UK now has more 'drugged' drivers than drunk ones?

I blame the stupid Smart Phone driven 'pace' of life. Idiots gawping at little screens while driving! That and drugs explain the majority of accidents out here. Although that said, driving for 100's of miles on a straight or gently bended freeway I now find very sleep inducing and thats where a lot of our crashes still originate from.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

A few years back I had a head on collision with a car coming the other way..  I was travelling around 25 mph..
The woman driver who was travelling towards me ,head on, had turned away to look at something. She veered over the road.. When realising this she put her foot down on the accelerator thinking it was the break..
Nasty experience..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I guess that was one pair of knickers beyond washing....

Scrumpy

:grin: :grin:   I sued her for a few thousand.. Owing to a bad neck .. and bruised ribs..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

dozing at the wheel is dangerous - ah, for a statement of the bleeding obvious, please accept my apologies - but it happened to me once. I was working all my fingers to the bone. Set off, as usual, at 0600, after working until around 0300 the previous night - no, I guess the same morning. My commute was Haslemere to Epsom, about 30 mile or a bit more without checking my memory, and I dozed at the wheel. The rumble strip, thankfully, woke me and after a few more miles I turned round and drove home. Start of my breakdown and last day that I set off for the office - and I reckon I am lucky to be alive
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on May 22, 2023, 04:42:41 PMDespite all this, my friends back home tell me that the idiot Government, led by 'Citizen' Khan are trying hard to get 'Pensioner' drivers  to surrender their licences. One of them a retired Insurance Actuary cannot understand why, as our age group is consistently in the least accidents or claims statistics grouping.

Today I heard that like over here the UK now has more 'drugged' drivers than drunk ones?

I blame the stupid Smart Phone driven 'pace' of life. Idiots gawping at little screens while driving! That and drugs explain the majority of accidents out here. Although that said, driving for 100's of miles on a straight or gently bended freeway I now find very sleep inducing and thats where a lot of our crashes still originate from.
I agree with all of that.  But there's more!

You should have a look at some of our (online) newspapers.  The Telegraph has one excellent example today.
An example of our local councils being perhaps as stupid as our government, and as corrupt as our civil service.

It illustrates (with a picture) an example of how one council has altered a main road which now has a 'bus lane' right in the middle of the two normal single lanes.
Right next to this thoroughfare is a 'cycle lane' which alone seems to be almost as wide as the two traffic lanes and the bus lane, and next to that a pedestrian pavement of much narrower proportions.  The cycle lane in the picture appears to be being used by more pedestrians than cyclists.

Just one example of what is going on in this country today.

It really is a joke, and I wonder how much (of our) money that council has spent on their latest bright idea.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Jacqueline

We regularly see the same few local drivers who overtake us in the 30 or 40 MPH speed limits doing 50 plus, instead of the speed cameras who catch people doing a couple of MPH over the limit why don't the police get out there and catch these offenders who seem to be getting away with murder, and it's always early evening  6 - 7 ish, too late for of the mobile cameras working day I suppose.