I'm in the money...

Started by klondike, May 01, 2023, 09:13:01 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

How many of you use TopCashBack?

I always do for insurances and broadband amongst other things (mostly a small cashback from eBay which I use far less since taking out an Amazon Prime sub).

I was miffed when I used their car insurance comparison £42 cashback didn't track and even more miffed when the £82.95 when I switched broadband provider didn't either. I reported both as tracking failures, provided some details in the claim and waited. Now both have paid I just requested a transfer of my earnings to my bank account which they usually do within a few days.

Here's an affilate link which will pay me £20 if anybody does sign up through it and uses their service. Most websites don't let you post affiliate links but we don't have a moderator here do we?  :grin:

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digitalham

Alex

Nope, I did try last time you mentioned it but I don't spend enough money :smiley:

klondike

Always worth using for insurances at the very least. I tend to switch broadband quite often too. Usually because the gits won't match the deals they give new customers so I make sure I'm a new customer every time. Better deal plus cashback. What's not to like?

Just checked and I've had over £1000 from them over the years. I used a different one before them. Possibly called Quidco. I don't think they are still going. Checked and it seems they are. They mention Amazon too who don't use TopCashBack so I may investigate.

Michael Rolls

an awful lot is age generated - compared to what I paid before I reached 70, the premiums are way increased
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

It's the broadband I was moaning about. They don't even ask for your age for that. I usually swap insurers every year anyway (partly to get the cashback) and yes my car insurance got dearer when I exceeded 70.

None of the services companies seem to think "Ah a loyal customer remaining or renewing we should give him a discount". What they do think is "Silly old sod obviously hasn't checked out the others so lets treat him as a cash cow". If you call and say you are thinking of moving they will always miraculously find you a better deal. This is why so many put you on automatic renewal and phone if you don't want it. It virtually always pays to swap if you can get cashback.

GrannyMac

I want to change our package, take OH off and put it in my name, as I do all the faffing about with payments etc. Have you ever tried to speak to Virgin Media? 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I did have cable once but got tired of their antics to keep you in contract. About a fortnight after I'd negotiated hard and got a reasonable deal I had an email saying the price would be going up. Only by a bit but it wound me up. On the bottom it said I could cancel without penalty if I chose not to pay. I took a contract on Openreach fibre - Plusnet iirc and had that installed then called VM to cancel. They said I couldn't without paying some ludicrous amount. I pointed to the email. They said the email was a mistake and it wasn't going up.

I had to go through the Chairman's complaints office. (May be wrong name - I forget now)  They not only allowed me to go no penalty but waived the notice too.

The reason I got fibre installed first was because I'd ordered it before and cancelled VM only to have an Openreach no show forcing me into renewing with VM rather than leave.

I'd never go back to VM. Horrible company. The other ISPs had poor support which was annoying as the phone line to this house is old and fault prone which was why I switched to VM in the first place.

GrannyMac

We like cable. We had it when it was Telewest, and wanted to keep phone, TV and Broadband as a package. But Virgin!! Terrible customer service. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I only ever used them for broadband. I used an adapter for a VOIP phone with a fairly cheap call package. These days I'm mobile only. I've never paid for TV but did get Amazon Prime a while back having resisted that for ages. The quick deliveries are good but I don't watch much of their streaming.

I think I've been with most ISPs and all have had mediocre to bad customer service. I have ended with one I thought I'd never use because of their pricing but when Vodafone reselling a CityFibre connection wanted considerably more than they were selling to new customers for once the minimum contract expired I found the best price I could get for a similar connection was from BT. The cashback clinched it as it was only marginally cheaper without that. It comes with no landline but I wasn't using that anyway and the upstream is only 70Mbps rather than the 500Mbps I had with Vodafone but the 500Mbps down is the same and I don't run a public webserver from home any more so no real loss. Truth be told I have no need of 500Mbps down but my dodgy phoneline pushes me to fibre and if you shop around 500 isn't much more expensive than 100.