Electric only cars

Started by klondike, March 30, 2023, 10:27:28 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Must be something to do with electric cars, but I can't get over the price of second hand cars now, 57% increase accordingto the AA.  If my old girl finally gives up the ghost, it'll have to be the bus for me. :angry:

klondike

The reason is the shortage of new cars because semiconductor chips are in short supply and modern cars are full of the things to meet the various safety and emissions requirements.

https://totallossgap.co.uk/blog/post/why-is-there-a-shortage-of-new-cars/559#:~:text=Semiconductor%20shortage%20to%20'outlast'%20Covid,parking%20cameras%20and%20power%20steering.

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on April 03, 2023, 10:53:19 AMThanks for that Phil, my car is 1242 so I looked at 1.25l and year is 2005 so it looks like a Timing Belt.  Is that the same as a Cam belt ? It's never been changed as far as I know. :shocked:
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, the correct name for a cam belt is timing belt.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on April 12, 2023, 03:34:21 PMThe reason is the shortage of new cars because semiconductor chips are in short supply and modern cars are full of the things to meet the various safety and emissions requirements.
Are you suggesting that this delay in delivery of new cars is creating a shortage of second hand car availability, thus driving prices higher?  Makes sense.

klondike

Exactly that. 

I was looking for a change of cars and the secondhand prices pushed me to a cheap new car as at least they come with a decent warranty.  I was lucky as the 7 month lead time was chopped on some sort of targets drive. I got what I ordered so long as I took it in just a few days before the end of March. It meant I missed on the 23 plate which didn't matter to me but will probably reduce the eventual resale value.

Jacqueline

Apparently one of our local car dealers dosen't want to sell electric cars any more. 

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on April 13, 2023, 10:52:11 AMApparently one of our local car dealers dosen't want to sell electric cars any more.
After them all jumping on the bandwagon, it is a relief to see that the prediction (others and I have made) about EVs being a flash in the pan is coming to pass.

Several reasons for the lack of interest.
- Outrageous cost.
- Limited range.
- Lack of charging points.
- Forthcoming end of free Road Tax.
- Forthcoming electricity shortages.
- etc, etc.
Some wokies are also beginning to realise that EVs are nowhere near their green predictions, especially if manufacturing is included.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Over the longer term they probably will be the vehicle of choice as fossil fuels become less readily available but there are too many issues for them to be mainstream yet for sure. The truth is that oil is far to valuable chemically to just burn quite apart from any pollution that produces.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on April 13, 2023, 04:29:09 PMOver the longer term they probably will be the vehicle of choice as fossil fuels become less readily available but there are too many issues for them to be mainstream yet for sure. The truth is that oil is far to valuable chemically to just burn quite apart from any pollution that produces.
No doubt.
However, if all the oil we are sitting on is becoming so expensive, why are we just leaving it there and not extracting it and making lots of money?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

government lack of a grown-up energy policy
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]