Another legend lost

Started by Michael Rolls, October 26, 2022, 04:21:19 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

OK, there isn't much interest in sport in this forum, and even less in the minority interests, but yesterday cycling lost Brian Robinson at the age of 91. A true grit son of Yorkshire, Brian was, in 1955, the first Briton to finish the Tour de France, the toughest cycling event in the world, a multi-stage race lasting three weeks and covering around (depending on the year) 2,200 miles or more.
In 1958 he became the first Brit to win a stage and in 1959 he became the second Brit to win a stage, this time by some 20 minutes, one of the biggest winning margins ever.
His efforts on the continent paved the way for many more Brits to follow his example - even winning Grandes Epreuves, but he will always be the trail blazer
RIP Brian
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Sorry never heard of him Mike, 91 is a great age  :upvote:

I like sport, well football but nobody else is interested on here only Crabby ! :smiley:

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on October 26, 2022, 04:21:19 PMOK, there isn't much interest in sport in this forum, and even less in the minority interests, but yesterday cycling lost Brian Robinson at the age of 91. A true grit son of Yorkshire, Brian was, in 1955, the first Briton to finish the Tour de France, the toughest cycling event in the world, a multi-stage race lasting three weeks and covering around (depending on the year) 2,200 miles or more.
In 1958 he became the first Brit to win a stage and in 1959 he became the second Brit to win a stage, this time by some 20 minutes, one of the biggest winning margins ever.
His efforts on the continent paved the way for many more Brits to follow his example - even winning Grandes Epreuves, but he will always be the trail blazer
RIP Brian
Mike

Remember him well Mike and another childhood hero 'Reg Harris' (two Olympic Silver medals) who came back at the age of 54 to win a British Title.

God bless them both ...

October 26, 2022, 04:36:21 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 26, 2022, 04:29:42 PMSorry never heard of him Mike, 91 is a great age  :upvote:

I like sport, well football but nobody else is interested on here only Crabby ! :smiley:

What, what, what. A devoted 'Superiron' (West Ham) here. Even over here, where they call it Soccer I watch every game in the UK I can, via Sky, and Match of the day, with Lineker muted!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

never forget 1954. Reg took the professional sprint world title, Cyril Peacock took the amateur gold. Reg took 4 world golds, a silver and a bronze - Never forget his comeback at age 54 in 1974. He beat Trever Bull, the reigning champion, who's mum apparent castigated him for losing to an 'old man'
Can't remember for sure which year, but probably '56, when the rules were briefly change so the sprint final, instead of being a two up affair after the semis, was a three up and other two (can't remember who they were) combined against Harris - not hard on a track sprint and he had to settle for silver. I remember him writing about the time about the odd rule changes seeming to proliferate which 'only seemed to apply to Harris'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]