Fifteen Prime Ministers

Started by Alex, September 07, 2022, 04:51:02 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Diasi

But Lizzie Windsor hasn't ever been elected & hasn't made a single jot of difference to the UK & is a total irrelevance.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Maybe so, but she is the Queen and we would be in a worse position with a president IMHO  :smiley:

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 07, 2022, 05:09:45 PMMaybe so, but she is the Queen and we would be in a worse position with a president IMHO  :smiley:
We wouldn't need a President in addition to a PM, the PM could be renamed as President.

The Yanks don't have a PM & President.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

The USA is rather  a different case as there are 52 states and they hold most of the powers of government.

I'm on my 14th prime minister now although I don't remember the first few.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on September 07, 2022, 05:53:31 PMThe USA is rather  a different case as there are 52 states and they hold most of the powers of government.

I'm on my 14th prime minister now although I don't remember the first few.
But nevertheless we don't need a President & a PM.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

I'm on number seventeen (or nineteen premierships, as Churchill and Wilson served two separate terms each)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on September 07, 2022, 05:09:45 PMMaybe so, but she is the Queen and we would be in a worse position with a president IMHO  :smiley:

You're right IMO,  She is valued by huge numbers of people here and across the world.  I can think of worse set ups.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Good for her.. She is the royal whom I respect..

I also like Charles.. I have little care for the others..
 Harry and Meghan being my pet dislike.. They don't want to do royal duties .. 
 Yet want all the trappings being a royal brings..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 08, 2022, 06:26:30 AMYou're right IMO,  She is valued by huge numbers of people here and across the world.  I can think of worse set ups.
How many people, to the nearest million?

A more realistic assessment is that there are as many people who don't want her or support her as there are that do.

All the Commonwealth countries that have gained & are trying to gain independence don't want her.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Australia had a referendum on 1999 - having been independent since 1901 - and rejected becoming a republic by 55-45
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Many changes are coming.. It is a different world today.. 
Many of the young do not have the same feelings towards the Monarchy as we had.. 
We stood before a picture of the Queen in our Assembly Hall and sang the National Anthem.. 
We stood in theatres and cinemas at the end of the performance and did the same.. These are mostly gone.. and it was our generation that saw the end of that.. Nothing to do with our young..
 People of today ask questions and look for answers.. Our generation accepted most things..
Freedom of the press answered many questions..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

National anthem when the pictures kicked out? I mostly remember a mad scramble for the exits to avoid it.

Ashy

Today they have announced that Her Majesty has taken a turn for the worse. I hope she didn't catch anything off her visitors yesterday. God save the Queen.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 08, 2022, 09:14:59 AMAustralia had a referendum on 1999 - having been independent since 1901 - and rejected becoming a republic by 55-45
Mike
23 years ago, so on the basis of probabilities, as many of the 55% would probably be old codgers who are now dead, it's more likely to be 55% for a republic & 45% against today.

Today, even when the country is facing unprecidented peacetime problems, the damn news is wall-to-wall news about Lizzie Windsor who seems to be on the verge of checking out.

I want to hear news about what steps Liz Truss has put in place to deal with all the serious problems that are facing us & this isn't a serious problem so far as I'm concerned.
[email protected]