Good Morning, Whatcha Up To The Day?

Started by Raven, December 15, 2021, 12:33:18 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

I always go armed with Polo mints and lumps of sugar. I think they're like most creatures. If you sit and talk with them (especially horses) and give them a little treat they come around sooner or later. Trouble is they rumble me early on as a 'soft touch' all round - especially dogs and horses!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Quote from: Cassandra on January 03, 2022, 09:22:25 PM
I always go armed with Polo mints and lumps of sugar. I think they're like most creatures. If you sit and talk with them (especially horses) and give them a little treat they come around sooner or later. Trouble is they rumble me early on as a 'soft touch' all round - especially dogs and horses!

One of our Clyde's muggs you, and then the nose goes through your pockets.

zoony

At least animals are honest about such things.

Scrumpy

I would rather be mugged by a creature then a human..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

crabbyob

when we had horses down the pit you darent leave an orange in your jacket hung up [we used to share an orange between four in the pit bottom, but if it had been left anywhere near a horse they used to suck the juice thru the pocket and leave a wee tangerene like 'thing' in yer now soggy pocket...

crabbyob

once in a hill station high in the Tamil Hills i saw a grey horse,'dont go near it, its a very nasty animal' being me a wanderered over and stopped about ten yards away, not looking at it i told it about the clydesdale i had used on a fruit and veg cart when i was still at school, it was called 'Jock' i just spoke quietly and it took me fifteen minutes to get close, but i never looked at it nor did i at any point try to touch it.... after being close to mit for about ten minutes i said goodbye and walked away.... followed by the horse for about twenty yards, but it stopped when it saw i was walking towards people... they are amazing animals, but require a bit of love.... just like us.

Alex

Very true crabbyob, they need love.  Animals aren't born nasty or dangerous, people make them that way.

Wandering Walter

It was a dry warm start this morning, now very heavy rain

Raven

Morning, I'm soooooo bloody cold today I can't stop shivering. :yell: Last time I was nice n warm was about 8am when I was up to my neck in really hot bubbling water for around 20 minutes.......Bliss.  :yahoo:
Done all my outside chores for the day and I'm hoping I don't need to put my nose back out the door again.
Will have to spend a while chopping up neeps for the sheep but Himself can take the buckets to them, I find them too heavy anyway. Soooo heading to make lunch shortly and hopefully a wee while by the fire.
Have a nice day. :smiley:

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on January 03, 2022, 09:26:17 PM
One of our Clyde's muggs you, and then the nose goes through your pockets.

A late client of mine bred 'Suffolk Punches' - sort of junior school Shires, wonderful creatures. I've often seen 'Clydes' at events or pulling Drays for Greene King in Bury St Edmunds. They seem gentle giants, so tall nearly 6ft at the shoulder. Must have massive strength with all that bulk and muscle? I'd surrender to a mugging at the first opportunity :worried:

Raven

Quote from: Cassandra on January 04, 2022, 01:05:30 PM
A late client of mine bred 'Suffolk Punches' - sort of junior school Shires, wonderful creatures. I've often seen 'Clydes' at events or pulling Drays for Greene King in Bury St Edmunds. They seem gentle giants, so tall nearly 6ft at the shoulder. Must have massive strength with all that bulk and muscle? I'd surrender to a mugging at the first opportunity :worried:

Bonnie would have you up against a fence or wall in a flash if you came into her territory, if you don't have an offering in your hands for her then she searches you, snorting and dribbling. :rolleyes:
Clyde on the other hand stands guard and tries to look fierce.  :rofl:
Can be quite scary till you get used to them.
They are better watch dogs than most dogs. :grin: Nothing and nobody gets past that pair.

klondike

I've come across Suffolk Punches. Some touristy place we went. They were being used to pull sightseeing trucks/wagons or whatever they are called. They were fine. I wasn't required to sit on them. Even though smaller than shires I think I'd still be pleased I'm not bothered by heights if I'd needed to mount them.

Cassandra

I need to be careful with my right arm being inoperable. Whenever I fall over onto that side it can be very painful as I can't really save myself? The smaller stature 'Walking hoses' as they're called here, are therefore popular with disabled or elderly riders, easy to mount and with really mellow temperaments.

Also very adept at negotiating 'mountain' trails where sure footed perception is so necessary. My 'Wood' track's aren't that bad really. Its just that the 'Quad' thing is so unforgiving - a real 'pile-driver' as my father would have called it!

1955vintage

When I lived in Wandsworth, the Youngs Brewery dray horses used to ample along the A3 main road, holding up the traffic. Magnificent beasts that turned heads and everyone loved them, despite the chaos.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Raven

Morning, Cold again but dry today and the wind's dropped. :upvote: Part of the front walk at the ocean has collapsed with the force of the rough seas, :shocked: hope it's fixed soon. I think everyone in the area walks along there. Even us with the Clydes.  :rolleyes:
Just back from a couple of hours on Dunnet Beach with the dog. Have a nice day.