Good Morning, Whatcha Up To The Day?

Started by Raven, December 15, 2021, 12:33:18 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Just now 10am -7°c here and feels much colder with the wind chill. Looking forward to snow in the next 48 hours, but not too much as I'm off to see a man about a horse on Thursday. A trot out here at 130 odd miles with a good straight roads too, but snow drifts maybe and with a horse box in tow, could be awkward! Never ever thought I'd be doing this at any age, let alone my advanced profile!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

More power to your elbow Cass. I think you're brilliant, much to be admired and rarely emulated. As long as you're not alone all the time it's an adventure to be treasured. Slainte!

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on January 03, 2022, 03:42:12 PM
More power to your elbow Cass. I think you're brilliant, much to be admired and rarely emulated. As long as you're not alone all the time it's an adventure to be treasured. Slainte!

Thanks Zoon, I've just had a call whilst I'm still 'online', the 'horse trader' (a distinguished rancher and trainer), having spoken to my family and learnt of my age and background is willing to bring the steed over to my home at no extra charge. I already know the price and was 'introduced' to 'Dixie' on 'zoom' a few days back, so I'm pretty sure the box will be returning empty!

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

zoony

Such a picture!  You in the saddle chatting to 'Mr Ed' while Albert sits behind you keeping an eye on things as you pass through the forest. Much more peaceful a progress than with your Ferrari skidoo! :grin:

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on January 03, 2022, 03:59:40 PM
Such a picture!  You in the saddle chatting to 'Mr Ed' while Albert sits behind you keeping an eye on things as you pass through the forest. Much more peaceful a progress than with your Ferrari skidoo! :grin:

I think the Skidoo was adventurous, but at least the younger members of the family will enjoy it. Anyway in financial terms its 'jumped' 30% + in price since I bought it 'off season'. Over here now, many hard assets like cars, motor bikes (a 1940 Indian Four you can virtually name your price on) and private small planes like property, are hardening in price as the dollar loses value.

Bobo's grand daughter wants to look after 'Dixie' and tend him for feeds etc and I'll of course remunerate her as well, like most young ladies, she adores horses.

Scrumpy

Cassandra.. You have cracked it.. You are to be applauded and envied by many..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

A brave sole. I'm assuming you must already be aquainted with horses.

Sadly I must say that I was briefly too but long enough for me not to hanker after one. Although I can see the attraction my backside is well aware of the price. At least for a beginner.

crabbyob

yes i too admire him greatly, what a heart, having trouble mounting a bike pales significantly beside, mounting a proper horse, i hope you will be using an American saddle.... i wish you lots of luck and the good health require to enjoy it... :cowboy:

zoony

C'mon chaps! No ordinary horse, don't forget. Anyway, a little pony-cart is just the thing for grocery shopping on a Saturday morning.. You'll be a local tv celebrity instantly sir along with Albert!  :grin: A three-edged sword that!

crabbyob

go on Zoon spoil my vision of Cass trotting down to the shops on horse-back, his wig slipping one way then the other....i put it to you m;lord are we allowed chin straps?

klondike

Cassandra

Quote from: crabbyob on January 03, 2022, 05:07:52 PM
yes i too admire him greatly, what a heart, having trouble mounting a bike pales significantly beside, mounting a proper horse, i hope you will be using an American saddle.... i wish you lots of luck and the good health require to enjoy it... :cowboy:

He's only 11 hands high, a fully trained 7 year old 'Walking Horse', bred especially for disabled and handicapped people to learn to ride. For example a starting pistol set off nearby didn't even startle him. I used to ride a fifteen hand albeit fifty years ago. The sellers also bringing over a new lightweight safety trap in the trailer box as well for me to try.

"Dixie" is a small 'stroller' mount. As I said a lot less stressful than a quad bike, which is most unforgiving, with some painful jolts to 'all' parts on woodland trails! Last time out it really shook me up. I felt quite ill, both with the intensity of one handed control and the general discombobulation of the ride. I actually decided not to persist again as a result and then my cousin suggested trying out his friend's small horse - a "Eureka" moment. The network of their knowledge and introductions to me here, has been quite priceless actually.

The 'dealers' son is to bring Dixie to me Thursday and was a representative example when we spoke on the phone as to how polite and respectful young people are over here towards their elders. Nothing is too much trouble and address you as 'Sir'. I understand from my relative that my should be new family member is a much loved 're-home' for the ranch who bred him from a foal. They are now very sympathetically 're-locating' him, aged 7 in March, following the former owner's death a few months ago. Apparently the horses's happiness is the most important consideration for both the bereaved family and the breeders. 

My cousin told them. "My English relative is animal nuts, he'll probably have him indoors in the cold, watching the TV with an owl perched on his head!"

Alex

No holding you now Cass !  looking forward to seeing a photo of Dixie.  :upvote:

klondike

Quote from: Cassandra on January 03, 2022, 05:58:17 PM
most unforgiving, with some painful jolts to 'all' parts on woodland trails!
I made the mistake that a hybrid bike rather than a mountain bike would be fine on those. What I hadn't realised is when they are muddy bikes leave tracks in them and when it is hot and dry, as it is when I am likely to venture out on bike, those rock hard furrows vibrate everything. If they got to you on a quad bike I'm guessing a mountain bike may only be a tad better. Nowhere to put a horse though even if one didn't take an instant dislike to me which most I've met seem to have done.