betting shops,

Started by alfred, June 14, 2022, 07:53:26 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

it present climes what with everything becoming that much dearer and bills for ever increasing on just about everything  do you think people will want or need to gamble with money being in short supply  and over a prolonged period could we seethe demise of some betting shops closing like many high street shops ,

Q; What do you think and will you share your thoughts with us,

klondike

They took a pounding when the maximum stakes on their fruit machines were significantly reduced. High streets are in decline and betting shops closing is just adding to that. I expect that those hoping to win but mostly just enriching betting companies do so online more and more. Probably the indoor smoking ban took a toll all those years back too.

Scrumpy

I don't know of a betting shop nearby.. I guess the Lottery took a few customers away and online betting is a big thing..
I used to buy a lottery ticket whilst out shopping.. Since Covid I now buy my ticket online..
.. and continue to do so..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

The only people who look prosperous in Betting Shops are the bookies, it's a mugs game is gambling of any sort and very easy to get pulled in once you start. 

Alex

I went in one once about 30 years ago to do the Irish Lottery, I don't understand any of the odds like 9/4 on - what's that all about ?
I remember my Granny used to send me with coins wrapped up in paper to a fella at the top of the street   :grin: funny how this thread brought that memory back  :grin: 

klondike

Those odds are saying you get £4 back for every £9 that you bet if it wins. You also get the stake money back. The ON doesn't alter anything sfaik but always gets said when the payout is less than evens.

A bet of say 50 to 1 means you would get back £50 for every £1 that you staked plus the stake money back. That is only likely to happen should hell freeze over though. Before placing a bet on a 50/1 horse count its legs. Make sure none look artificial.

Scrumpy

My mum used to do the football pools..
 Big headlines when a woman won 75 thousand..
'I'm going to spend, spend spend'.. Big money back then..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

Back in the early 1960's my Aunt won £150 on the pools, she thought she was a millionaire, a lot of money then.

-Oy-

Never been in one. As said above - there's only one winner.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

klondike

Some must make it big. I picked up tenners close to the local one twice in a week  :grin:

It was just after the plastic ones were released. I think people just weren't used that and they'd slide out of back pockets.