Chancellor's hand-outs

Started by Michael Rolls, June 02, 2022, 04:53:37 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

A while back there was talk here or PF on a universal basic income to replace all the non health related benefits. Too simple to be adopted and maybe too simple to work but it would remove that gap between getting benefits and just missing out. Plus the one that infuriates me being born a year too early to get the new state pension.

GrannyMac

I feel for those whose state pensions have been pushed back. Especially if they are/were in tough lines of work, with no other pensions to rely on.

Contrary to what a certain PF poster believes, not every job offers a gold plated pension with the option of enhanced early retirement, and not everyone of our generation has inherited a property.  Not every job pays enough to shell out for a private pension, and not every private pension paid out as expected.

I'd support UBI, but I'd likely be in the minority.  People in general will be against it as 'something for nothing'.

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Many get something like it already but with a lot more bureaucracy paperwork and cost involved in giving it out. Getting the level right would be the trick I suppose basic tax levels would rise to recover at least some of it from those with no need of a supplement to their incomes. I don't see how people could complain if everybody got the same amount and tax didn't take more than (say) half of their income from other sources.

Scrumpy

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 07, 2022, 11:39:06 AMContrary to what a certain PF poster believes, not every job offers a gold plated pension with the option of enhanced early retirement, and not everyone of our generation has inherited a property.  Not every job pays enough to shell out for a private pension, and not every private pension paid out as expected.

Ahh!! But is he happy? He spends much of his time worrying about others who may have more.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I still look in on PF from time to time and it seems to me that as time goes on he gets worse. I'm not sure if it is all just a wind up or if he has some possibly serious mental health issue. Certainly some of the stuff he comes out with shows remarkably little empathy with others.

Michael Rolls

There are times when I wonder if the whole thing isn't a figment of his imagination
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I hope it's a wind up. If it isn't then......

Michael Rolls

then he perhaps 'hears voices'
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

That's only on the phone. What about all those strange characters in Weatherspoons? And the oddballs travelling from miles around to jog in Sutton Park in the dark most of the year.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

I've met him lots of times. Usually in Weatherspoons. 

Pretty irritating character really - he carries a little notebook and scribbles stuff into it while I'm talking to him.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]