Easy reading.

Started by Scrumpy, May 15, 2022, 07:54:38 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

The book I have just started to read is.
Just My Luck.. by Adele Parks.

A couple win the lottery.. They were in a syndicate with others.. but the others pulled out the week before..
But their friends are determined to get their share.. even if it means lying..

I am enjoying it very much.. Others might be interested.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Sheila

Thanks Scrumpy.  I had a look and the library have it on audiobook.

I have enjoyed quite a lot of Amanda Prowse books but am reading a Penny Vincenzi one at the moment.  I am enjoying it but need to concentrate like mad as there are so many characters.  I have to keep checking the list at the front to check who they are.

I should have copied them out onto a piece of card and used that as a book mark.

Scrumpy

What a good idea Shelia... Sometimes I have to flick back to check who a character is..

My Mum read War and Peace in her later years.. It took her a while but she got through it..
All those foreign names.!!

-Oy-

I like to read Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fiction. That almost always involves large series of books. Currently on book 7 of 10 of the "Shadows of the Apt" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. 
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

klondike

Do you want a books section in hobbies?

-Oy-

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Sheila

Sheila

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 16, 2022, 10:08:23 AM

What a good idea Shelia... Sometimes I have to flick back to check who a character is..

My Mum read War and Peace in her later years.. It took her a while but she got through it..
All those foreign names.!!

I returned a huge Penny Vincenzi book to the library the other day and got a round of applause from the librarian for finishing it.  It was a bit of a challenge but I quite enjoyed it and then started another.

Sheila

Scrumpy, I've just started Just My Luck.  I've not read much yet but am enjoying it.

I like to download books from the library to read on my Ipad but they didn't have this as a ebook, just audio.  When I checked our local library had it in hardback.

Our local train station has some bookshelves and you can help yourself or drop off any books that you have finished with. 

Sheila

I sat in the garden reading today and finished it.  It is an unusual book and I enjoyed it.

Scrumpy

Sheila.. You read a lot quicker than I do.. but I am getting there..
Thoroughly enjoying it.. The husband needs a slap..
I get angry with him for the vast amounts of spending..
I hope to finish it before next week..
Glad you enjoyed it..

Scrumpy

I have just finished Just My Luck..
Thoroughly enjoyed it.. Brilliant ending..

Sheila

I like Lesley Pearse too but have read all her books now.

I need to find some more e-books from the library as I haven't got any at the moment and I can read easily from the IPad if I wake up in the night.

crabbyob

if there is a long list of characters at the start take a photo of them with your phone, its always at hand, perhaps.

Sheila

Good idea crabbyob.

June 05, 2022, 06:43:51 PM
I have read a few Nadine Dorrie books and in one of them she mentions The Shetland Bus.  A British soldier had escaped from a prison camp in WW2 and had travelled vast distances until he got to Scotland from Norway on a boat.

During WW2 my father was in Norway and as the Germans advanced, the British decided to leave.  Most of the squadron went on HMS Glorious but my father and another man had to stay behind to destroy anything that would be useful to the Germans and then make their own way back to England.  They managed to get a lift on a fishing boat, landing in Scotland.  I wonder now if it was The Shetland Bus which was disguised as a fishing boat but did in fact have guns.  HMS Glorious was sunk by the Germans and most of the squadron lost their lives.