juke boxes,

Started by alfred, December 30, 2021, 10:53:56 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Way back in time that is in the fifties many places including some cafes had a juke box , and even though it was a long time ago it was nice playing a record ,

i think some pubs also had these, as on a Saturday night as people popped a coin into the box other customers could and would sing along with the record, and of course some pubs didn't have a piano or a piano player to sing along with,

Q; do you remember those times,, if so what were your memories, and will you share them with us,

klondike

They used to be very popular in roadside cafes too. A lot of pubs were a bit dyed in the wool to put them in and if they did the regulars all sat in "their" seats in a corner would start to mutter amongst themselves.

Raven

There used to be a coffee bar in Perth (the south cafe) when I was growing up, it was a dive of a place but very popular with the bikers and older teenagers. It had a Juke Box in the corner, we used to hang around in there sometimes if it was raining out.
It's still there but not as a Coffee Bar, I think it's been closed for a good time.
Mike you'll know where I mean it's on the corner of Canal St and Princes St, at the traffic lights.

Michael Rolls

Yes - recognise it. Don't what, if anything, it is now - looks totally anonymous, and although I have driven past many times (but not walked past) I don't remember seeing any activity
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Round here a lot of what used to be corner shops, bakers or even pubs have just reverted to housing. I'd guess that is what that is now.

There is what might be a sign in the window so possibly a small accountant or similar.

Michael Rolls

could well be, I suppose, although it doesn't look very attractive if that is the case. OTH - a flat over?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I took a closer look in Street view myself

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wNDe5NtrX6ZzP6Lp9

Looks like some sort of price list in the window and it has an alarm so some sort of commercial use rather than residential and not profitable enough to get the dodgy paint sorted.

Scrumpy

We used to gather in the Queens and play the juke box .. The Bell.. The Towers ..the good old Red Cross .. finally ending up at The Angel.. because that was nearer home..
Strange that I can remember the names and route from years back but forget the eggs when I pop into the Co-op.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

There used to be a "thing" in Northampton called doing the Welly Road. That was every pub along the Wellingborough Road from town centre to Abington Park then back on the other side. I doubt anybody made it without cheating as there must have been more than 20 pubs along it back in the day. Less now of course.

One place I lived there was an old Lady of maybe 80 or so next door who used to drive out with her mates for a decent meal at lunchtime. When somebody else was driving she wasn't steaming when she returned but you could tell she'd been on her favourite tipple which was champagne. If I ever saw her about to set off of an evening I'd always ask if she was going clubbing or off to do the Welly Road. Always brought a twinkle and a denial.

Alex

Some of those old Juke Boxes sell for thousands of pounds now, if they're in reasonable nick.

Raven

Yes I suppose they would. I believe collectors buy them up and use them in their homes.

Jacqueline

Memories of my teenage years in the pub or local cafe listening to the juke box.  We would all get up and dance until the landlord moaned that he wasn't licenced for dancing and stopped us, more often than not we got away with it.

Wandering Walter

My favourite pub in my home town had a Juke Box it made a good profit for the landlord over the years, we used to ride our motorbikes to a big cafĂ© called the Tomato Dip if I remember rightly just outside Skipton in Yorkshire for a cup of Bovril and listen to the Juke Box, we really did live on the wild side in those days  :grin: