Quick now.
Quick.
Quicker than that.
Fail.

crabbyob

it ok for you, we werent allowed rubbers on our pencils
but in Ireland.... :Help:

klondike

I did read that when cling film first appeared it was very popular over there  :rolleyes:

-Oy-

This new? We were taught this in the early 1970s!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

zoony

Just realized, it's 70 yrs since my mum and dad took possession of this house as young marrieds with me in arms and my late brother just toddling.. Who says I didn't have the right, and the luck, to be able to buy it?

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

My father in law bought his council flat.  I have no beef with individuals who bought if they couldn't afford to buy on the open market. It was the only opportunity many had to become home owners.  But it did discriminate against those who couldn't get a nice, mortgageable council property in a pleasant area.

I do have an issue with successive governments who, knowing the lack of affordable housing, have not withdrawn the Right to Buy in England.  Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 have done the right thing IMO.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

I was never in agreement over the right to buy. I knew when it started that all the good areas would be bought and they were. :cry: Leaving a real shortage and no hope of familys getting out of flats and into a nice back/front door.

crabbyob

the cash was to be reinvested in more social housing another tHATCHER cock-up

klondike

Quote from: zoony on April 05, 2022, 01:33:31 AM
Just realized, it's 70 yrs since my mum and dad took possession of this house as young marrieds with me in arms and my late brother just toddling.. Who says I didn't have the right, and the luck, to be able to buy it?
I'm living in the house my parents bought 70 years ago when I was a baby too.

crabbyob

GrannyMac

Quote from: crabbyob on April 05, 2022, 09:47:35 AM
the cash was to be reinvested in more social housing another tHATCHER cock-up

Far more were built under her government than under Blair or Brown. https://fullfact.org/economy/who-built-more-council-houses-margaret-thatcher-or-new-labour/

I was working in a council housing department when Blair was elected, colleagues who'd been there years expected Labour to kick it into touch, but they didn't.  Now lots are owned by private landlords, their tenants are paying through the nose with no security of tenure, and little if any maintenance.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

If they had still been proper Labour then I'm sure it would have been kicked into touch. But Tony Blair was the one who changed the party into Tory Lite. Now they have lost all their old values......Mores the pity, we were always Labour Voters, even helped vote Tony in, but never again, unless they return to their roots of caring for the working folk.  :angry:

klondike

They care more for the dinghy folk.