Jeffrey Archer..

Started by Scrumpy, October 05, 2022, 10:19:41 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

On GMB trying to flog his latest book..
Greedy, greedy arrogant man..
  Certainly skeletons in his closet.. 

I would rather read the train times... even when they are not running.. Far more interesting..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

Why didn't he loose his knighthood when he was sent to jail? poor old Lester Piggot did, but I suppose he wasn't one of the chosen ones.

Scrumpy

Ghastly man.. Worth hundreds of millions...

Wasn't he the guy who approached the prostitute.. somewhere..?

klondike

Bit like the grand of Duke of Pork in that respect it seems. I had to resort to google of course...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/07/jeffrey-archer-libel-case-star-newspaper-1987

Jeffrey Archer's 'foolish act of honourable man' – archive, 1987
7 July 1987: The former deputy chairman of the Conservative party and novelist has his first day in court in a libel case against the Star newspaper

Mr Jeffrey Archer , the former deputy chairman of the Conservative party, paid £2,000 to a prostitute he had never met to save his reputation and that of his party from scandal, a High Court jury was told yesterday.

The payment was the 'very foolish' act of a 'totally honourable man,' Mr Robert Alexander QC for Mr Archer, told the court on the first day of a libel action against the Star over an article suggesting he had sex with the prostitute, Monica Coghlan.

Mr Archer, who appeared in court with his wife, told the jury that he had never had sex with Miss Coghlan. They had not even met.

Sadly
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/oct/02/dailystar.pressandpublishing

Archer pays back libel award in £1.5m settlement with Star
The disgraced peer Jeffrey Archer has settled his libel debt with the Daily Star newspaper, 15 years after he won £500,000 by lying in the high court, Express Newspapers announced yesterday.

Lord Archer, who is currently serving a four-year prison sentence for perjury, has repaid the sum he was awarded in 1987 over claims he paid money to prostitute Monica Coghlan, and is understood to have paid at least an extra £1m in legal and recovery costs.

Scrumpy

Lord Archer.. !! Yeah! right... Dodgy character.. And still given airtime to flog his books..

Off with his head.. chop, chop..

Cassandra

Got to give opinion for him once. Didn't even have the decency to turn up himself, left it to his Solicitor.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Malvina

I really don't give a damn about Archers personal Life,
I've enjoyed all of His books,some made into most enjoyable Films too..and that's all that matters...(to Me). :wink:
So Those of You who haven't a good word to say about Him,
will You not read His books or watch the Films.. :hmm: eh?

Scrumpy

Malvina... The lady with the catapult.. !!!
Great to see you posting..

Nah!!! 

Malvina

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 05, 2022, 05:55:31 PMMalvina... The lady with the catapult.. !!!
Great to see you posting..

Nah!!!
:grin:....Ta...

Alex

Quote from: Malvina on October 05, 2022, 05:44:30 PMI really don't give a damn about Archers personal Life,
I've enjoyed all of His books,some made into most enjoyable Films too..and that's all that matters...(to Me). :wink:
So Those of You who haven't a good word to say about Him,
will You not read His books or watch the Films.. :hmm: eh?

Were you a fan of Jimmy Saville ? :cool:

Malvina

Oh get real FFS,You can not equate Archer with Saville...are You crazy!

Alex

Read my post again, I highlighted your statement "I really don't give a damn about Archers personal Life" so I'm asking if you don't give a damn about any celebrity's personal life, or is it just Jeffrey Archer ?

Malvina

Quote from: Alex on October 05, 2022, 07:57:36 PMRead my post again, I highlighted your statement "I really don't give a damn about Archers personal Life" so I'm asking if you don't give a damn about any celebrity's personal life, or is it just Jeffrey Archer ?
The heading on this thread is 'Jeffrey Archer'...No mention of Anyone else..but..if You wish to start another thread about other Celeb's..on Ye go..I may put in My tuppence worth...but then again..I may not.

klondike

We don't really do sticking to topic here. Most threads wander off after a couple of posts. Bit like chatting to friends in fact...

Malvina

Quote from: klondike on October 05, 2022, 08:33:53 PMWe don't really do sticking to topic here. Most threads wander off after a couple of posts. Bit like chatting to friends in fact...
I agree,and fair enough...as long as I'm not expected to agree with the majority..I am..after all an Independent Woman..in more ways than one. :upvote: