Electric Buses

Started by Alex, January 11, 2024, 12:54:59 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Police declared a critical incident as flames engulfed an electric double decker bus with 'loud bang' heard.  London Fire Brigade said they are unsure of the exact cause of the fire. :rolleyes:
It does appear that thankfully nobody was hurt.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2024, 12:54:59 PMPolice declared a critical incident as flames engulfed an electric double decker bus with 'loud bang' heard.  London Fire Brigade said they are unsure of the exact cause of the fire. :rolleyes:
Unsure of the exact cause of the fire?  Well, it wouldn't have been anything to do with the petrol tank then.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

:rolleyes: indeed

More Green News that I saw the other day...

I notice that the BBC and other mainstream stories about them being introduced comes top in google search but their story of it's embarrassing problem doesn't appear in those results at all on the first page of my search

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scottish+electric+ferry&hl=en#ip=1

Not another flagship ferry on the blink!
'Green' vessel is running solely on fossil fuels as it awaits new battery

One of the SNP's 'green' electric ferries has been forced to run on diesel for months – and won't be fixed until at least next year.

The MV Hallaig was hailed by Nicola Sturgeon as a symbol of Scottish Government ambition when she launched it in 2012.

But the hybrid vessel – which runs between Sconser on Skye and the isle of Raasay – broke down in the autumn, with passengers having to be rescued.

She is now relying solely on fossil fuel because it will take 18 months to find and fit a £1.5million replacement for a faulty battery.

Experts had warned that MV Hallaig and her two sister ships risked becoming expensive white elephants.

It is the latest fiasco in the SNP's mismanagement of the ferry fleet, with two other dual-fuel vessels – MV Glen Sannox and MV Glen Rosa – now six years late and £260million over budget.

The CalMac network has also come under fire in recent years as the ageing fleet suffers continual breakdowns, with services often cancelled at short notice.

Last month it emerged ferry chiefs paid out more than £450,000 in compensation claims in 2022-23.

Dan Corrigall, of Portree, who runs tourist boat trips around Skye, told the Sunday Mail: 'The Government was warned about these hybrid ferries but they went ahead with them anyway.

'Now we have the MV Hallaig, which cost £10million, and had nothing but issues.'

The 150ft MV Hallaig can carry 150 passengers and up to 25 vehicles.

Full story -  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12936189/Not-flagship-ferry-blink-MV-Hallaig-Nicola-Sturgeon.html

JBR

I find it a bit of a shame that the trendy greenies can't see beyond the end of their noses.

I'm finding the drive (pardon the expression) to persuade everyone to buy EVs quite entertaining to watch.  I'm particularly looking forward to the day when a sufficient number of fools have invested in them and then find that there are regular electrical power cuts simply because we still don't have an adequate level of generation when the wind isn't blowing.

I'll still have my reliable ICE car.  😁

klondike

Can't refuel that during a power cut either  :grin:
Mind you that isn't a job that takes 8 hours every couple of hundred miles though...

JBR

Quote from: klondike on January 11, 2024, 02:36:03 PMCan't refuel that during a power cut either  :grin:
Mind you that isn't a job that takes 8 hours every couple of hundred miles though...
Yes, that's perfectly true.  Petrol pumps run on electricity.  On the other hand, if there is a power cut at the petrol station, there is the option of driving on to find another one in a different supply area if necessary.
We never let the tank get too low anyway, so we'd be happy to wait or drive on to find a working station.

ansu

In our today's paper I read that if there's not enough power available for all electric cars the supply will be limited, i.e. you can get power for driving a certain number of kilometers. However, private household won't be hit by these measures. So let's wait and see. As I have problems with my eyes I rarely use the car - there's a bus stop just round the corner - very comfortable.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on January 11, 2024, 04:40:49 PMIn our today's paper I read that if there's not enough power available for all electric cars the supply will be limited, i.e. you can get power for driving a certain number of kilometers. However, private household won't be hit by these measures. So let's wait and see. As I have problems with my eyes I rarely use the car - there's a bus stop just round the corner - very comfortable.
That is exactly what will happen in broken Britain before very much longer.
We appear to rely on windmills and solar panels, so when the government attains its 'nett zero' target after closing all coal, gas, oil and nuclear power stations, all EVs will grind to a permanent stop!
They are not able to look ahead, you see.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2024, 12:54:59 PMPolice declared a critical incident as flames engulfed an electric double decker bus with 'loud bang' heard.  London Fire Brigade said they are unsure of the exact cause of the fire. :rolleyes:
Contrary to what most people probably think, electrical shorts can cause massive explosions with blasts that can be heard a mile away & cause burns that you would expect from a bomb blast.

As with the Luton Airport fire, the Fire Brigade are allowing themselves to be used as PR fodder by not saying the cause was the Lithium batteries.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

lithium-ion batteries are a very popular power source for model aircraft, being far more efficient, ounce for ounce, than preceding types. If you were unfortunate to enough to crash a model so powered, SOP was to leave it, if possible, for 15 minutes as they had been known to self-ignite several minutes after becoming reacquainted with terra firma.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 12, 2024, 08:52:44 AMlithium-ion batteries are a very popular power source for model aircraft, being far more efficient, ounce for ounce, than preceding types. If you were unfortunate to enough to crash a model so powered, SOP was to leave it, if possible, for 15 minutes as they had been known to self-ignite several minutes after becoming reacquainted with terra firma.
I agree.  I'm not sure whether my mobile phone might include one.

I think the important difference is that a tiny lithium battery is nowhere near as potentially dangerous as an EV battery, which might weigh as much as the car itself.

klondike

Looks like the flames are coming from what would have been the engine compartment

Daily Sceptic regular contributor Guy de la Bédoyère said: "I took that bus (no. 200) every day as a kid in the 1960s through Wimbledon. I'll tell you this for nothing: it never burst into flames."   :grin:

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/01/11/electric-double-decker-bus-bursts-into-flames-in-london-rush-hour/

Ashy

We had another electric bus burnt to a crisp yesterday in Woolwich and I gather there have been another two burnt out off the road that they haven't said much about. They are around £200,000 each and probably more if the government buys them.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on January 13, 2024, 12:41:24 PMWe had another electric bus burnt to a crisp yesterday in Woolwich and I gather there have been another two burnt out off the road that they haven't said much about. They are around £200,000 each and probably more if the government buys them.

At least the worst of it is in Londonistan.
If you live there, move back to civilisation or, better still, emigrate to a better country!