school days, crime then and now ?

Started by alfred, August 12, 2022, 01:39:33 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Unless its me i seem to recall the first teacher i had when i first went to school i think the teacher a young lady whos name i think was marsh and she was always smiling and softly spoken  its something which has stuck in my mind all those years ago ,and i thought her a lovely lady , i often wonder what happened to her and hope she had had a lovely wonderful life,

as i grew up from junior to senior school all in the same school then i remember the name some  of other teachers  and the head master who gave me the Cane most likely something i must have asked for, another teacher was a man called Lewis and he really loved to Cane you for almost any excuse i thought when he caned me he was a little sadistic as i thought he really enjoyed bringing  the Cane down hard  most likely to see if he could break it, in half,

as you read this you'll realize that i was no angel and got caned on the bottom, as well as the hand, today ( no longer allowed) as in the past i recall some teachers throwing an eraser ( rubber )at you ,

yet despite all that and i wasn't the only one who got sorted out there were other boys who had similar  experiences, yet i felt no animosity towards these teachers as i felt i had it coming , i got caught and that was it , how ever i grew up respecting my elders  and obeyed the law much like virtually every one else ,

which fitted in when i did like others my national service ,

with the law today going soft and silly sentencing from the judiciary i wonder will some children grow up thinking they can do what they like when the mood suites them ,
as some of them know and quote the law , yet today with so many knife crimes ,(as in my day, as in the past school children weren't taking knives into school ,) so what does that say , although a crack down has been put in place,  this didn't happen , as corporal punishment was the order of the day , where as today shootings, stabbings and robbery go hand in glove, so that the perpetrator can only serve a short sentence in prison, learning even more ways of committing the perfect robbery ,

as it is today the public in general don't think the police are doing very much at all in catching criminals   , so should our teaching system revert back to the past where by punishment would be the order of the day ,

Q; what was your schooldays like and what do you think of the ways schools the law  and the police acted  then , so  isn't time for a rethink as crime is for ever on the increase as knifing, murder, is too, plus the occasional shooting ,and how many people are walking about today and carrying knives , does the police have any idea, ???

klondike

With less than 1% of recorded crime prosecuted (note that is recorded crime and prosecuted not convicted) I think it would be fairer to say that many now realise that they can do just what they like rather than think. So long as it isn't upsetting anybody on twitter of course.

JBR

Certainly.  Schools, and now judges, being soft on misbehaviour and crime is the root cause of our sad situation today.
The only thing that I find absolutely amazing is that no-one in authority seems to have the faintest idea of the obvious solution.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

The word missing in today's language is RESPECT.
The boys at my school got the slipper.. the girls, the cane.
I have had the cane across my outstretched hand.. In my day we never pulled our hands away.. we took our punishment.. Even bragged about it.. we were Martyrs. :bandaged:
 The male teachers were addressed as 'Sir'.. the women by their name and title.. 
We respected them.. and ,dare I say, admired them..
The teachers of today can't even say 'Boo' to the children.. and the children know it..
Children Rule..  in and out of the classroom.. MOSTLY...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

Don't start me on modern day children, or should I say modern day parents.  In my opinion it's the parents who should get the slap, so many let their kids run riot and are too lazy to tell them off, they treat their children like their best friend and not  I am your parent you are a child role, there is time for friends when they grow up.

As for schools, like most people of my generation I lived in fear of the teachers, nun's in my case I went to a convent school, they could be sadistic.  One teacher Sister Paul walked around the classroom with a large heavy ruler in hand, you hardly had to move to get it across your knuckles, if you got sent to the head mistress office you shook in your shoes.

Now what deterant have teachers got now, nothing, the government have now banned smacking the little darlings, they know their rights and the number to Childline, I have heard some say "you can't touch me".  Who'd be a parent these days? my mother, the nun's and I would be serving life in jail.

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 12, 2022, 05:26:18 PMNow what deterant have teachers got now, nothing, the government have now banned smacking the little darlings, they know their rights and the number to Childline, I have heard some say "you can't touch me".  Who'd be a parent these days? my mother, the nun's and I would be serving life in jail.
There's no way I would be a teacher today.  Even before I retired ten years ago, teaching even in a primary school was becoming increasingly unattractive.  Not so much the children, as at that age there's not much they can do other than make unfounded accusations, but the parents.  Some of them sometimes made me seriously consider giving up.

GrannyMac

I wouldn't go back to the days of sadistic teachers who enjoyed using corporal punishment.  My OH, like Alfred, said accepted his punishment, because he knew it was deserved!  That wasn't my experience.

I had the misfortune to be in the class of an evil witch! No problems with any teacher, before or after. She belted me regularly, sometimes just for knowing an answer. It made me anxious about everything in my last couple of years in primary school.  I'm very thankful my children and grandchildren had/are having a better experience.  And they're all pretty well behaved!

I wouldn't be a teacher now either, given the behaviour of some parents.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

I had a few clatterings at school, but not as many as I probably deserved.

Funnily enough it taught me to not mug 90-yr-old's.

At Grammar School my form master was called 'Slasher'.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on August 13, 2022, 08:38:58 AMI had a few clatterings at school, but not as many as I probably deserved.

Funnily enough it taught me to not mug 90-yr-old's.

At Grammar School my form master was called 'Slasher'.  :grin:
I remember 'Killer' Rodley from my grammar school!
No-one would give him cheek, or any of the other masters either for that matter.

I remember the French master (can't remember his name, neither would I want to, though his first name was Haydn) who threw my book across the classroom and caned me for doing some rubbish work.
Years later, as a radiographer, I had to do a chest X-ray on him.  He didn't remember me; I remembered him!

Scrumpy

Years later I came face to face with a Mister Ellis.. Welsh.. ginger hair.. smokers breath..
I remembered everything about him.. He taught math .. I was so frightened because It took me a while to understand the subject ... And he knew it.. Bastard.
 He went to say something as we were passing..  I looked through him and strolled on as though I knew not of him..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I had an awful maths teacher too, a Miss Latham horrible woman who wore her hair in a tight bun.  The rest sound s like a right whinge !!!!!!
But It's true that a teacher can change a child's life, and it's not always for the better.

klondike

Quote from: Alex on August 13, 2022, 01:47:29 PMIt's true that a teacher can change a child's life, and it's not always for the better. 
The adverts only mention the first bit.

I must have been a good boy as I don't recall getting whacked. Some did but not all that often. Unless PTSD has removed the memories...

Raven

I suppose I was lucky in the fact that no teacher had it in for me. I did however get the belt a few times, richly deserved but I didn't think so at the time.
I couldn't leave school quickly enough.