Railway strike action

Started by hugh, June 21, 2022, 05:33:54 PM

« previous - next »

hugh

Not going to say if I agree with or not. But I certainly remember the seventies when cost of living went through the roof for workers with no powerful union. The only people strikes won't harm is the union bosses.
Happy Golfer

Raven

Well I will say, I don't agree with strikes at all.  :waiting:

klondike

As I recall getting big pay rises didn't make you richer it made you poorer as it just stoked inflation. I was working for Ford at the time but as I was a staff worker with no compulsion to be a union member was never told I had to strike. The unions preferred to see the staff still in as that was just a drain on the company as we didn't get laid off either.

The rail unions are worried about redundancies as working from home has reduced passenger numbers. Going on strike is more likely to push folk away from reliance on the railways than increase passengers imo. Certainly when I was contracting in the 90s the commuting experience was so poor that I stopped taking London contracts and settled for lower rates and driving simply to avoid the trains.

Alex

I don't think they should be striking, it's more ammunition for driverless trains   :grin:

What's with the Palestinian flags on the picket line  ?  😮

hugh

Labour party in the days of strikes and large pay rises I remember too well. While they bragged they kept the average pay rise quite low it was done by not giving the forces a pay rise. With the cost of living rising at an alarming rate it pushed my family into poverty. It cannot be allowed to happen again.
Happy Golfer

Scrumpy

A load of Lefties .. who are trying to topple the Government..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

All they'll do is reduce railway passenger numbers and speed up the redundancies.

Michael Rolls

and underline the case for driverless trains where possible
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

hugh

The workers them selves should know the strikes going to cost them dearly and should not walk out. The union bosses will keep them on strike for a long term but will not lose their income. Keeping hundreds  of workers in ticket offices who sell little or know tickets and hoping for a pay rise is a joke. Sharmer trying to get Boris involved in the strike is a no go. 
Happy Golfer