Just Stop Oil

Started by Michael Rolls, November 07, 2022, 12:49:58 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Presently they can only be fined minimal amounts. Maximum is only a £1000 for example. I don't know if Patel got her amendment through to '£unlimited' and / or six months for this crime.

However breaching a High Court Injunction is a different matter, or it should be ...

Section 6(c) of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 restricts liability for contempt of court in respect of conduct intended to impede or prejudice the administration of justice.

If a person disobeys the terms of an Order of Court which carries a penal notice, he/she/it will have breached the Injunction. As to whether such a breach constitutes contempt, will be considered on a case-by case approach according to the particular facts of the given case. The seriousness of the breach, and the question as to whether such action undermined or 'laughed in the face of the Court Order' so as to be contemptuous, will be determined by the Court. Obviously the more serious the breach so as to fall fowl of Section 6(c) of the 1981 Act, the greater will be the risk of a custodial sentence, or a larger fine.

Clearly the loony who is causing all this trouble 'Roger Hallam', who got a month in Wandsworth (not a nice place) just recently will just laugh at this and direct his troops from within, via a mobile phone. A hardbitten urban terrorist I'd have given him 6 months with a £25K fine and told him for each involvement whether direct or by implication the fine would double in line with the sentence.

Also the same would apply to all others. Amnesty International etc etc would appeal etc, but eventually the costs should drain their Tsar backers (whoever they are) into thinking twice.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Quote from: Cassandra on November 09, 2022, 04:38:20 PMA hardbitten urban terrorist I'd have given him 6 months with a £25K fine and told him for each involvement whether direct or by implication the fine would double in line with the sentence.
Also the same would apply to all others. Amnesty International etc etc would appeal etc, but eventually the costs should drain their Tsar backers (whoever they are) into thinking twice.

Now this I like. :yay:

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Something different certainly needs to be done as they are simply not deterred by what is being done now. Seizure of property and time getting to know intimately the inmates of one of His Majesty's prisons for several months would be an be excellent start.

Ashy

Apparently the ringleaders of JSO have been detained in prison pending their trial on December 6th at Southwark. I think they are in deep doo dah. These are not the so-called protesters, they include Mr Hallam and his clerical friend.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on November 09, 2022, 01:27:18 PMI agree, there is no significant danger to traffic and no obstruction of the carriageway. I simply do not understand why the police should want the traffic stopped unless they are complicit.
I think they probably are.
After all, apparently the police all have to have sociology degrees these days anyway, and we all know what they teach in sociology!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

JBR

An excellent reader's comment in the Telegraph this morning:

"BBC R4 is in full Goebbels mode this morning.
Interview with this specimen: "Climate justice activist"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikaela_Loach
Decided that flying is OK, because "you've got to actually get to all these climate conferences around the world."
Totally unchallenged on her views, other than the usual BBC soft questions from the presenter.
This one has launched legal actions against the UK Gov because she's 24 and can't find her toys.
"For her activism work, Loach was named on BBC's Woman's Hour Power List."
Of course she was, of course she was."

I think this provides an excellent example of the sort of people who join 'Just Stop Oil' (and 'Extinction Rebellion').
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on November 09, 2022, 06:05:24 PMSomething different certainly needs to be done as they are simply not deterred by what is being done now. Seizure of property and time getting to know intimately the inmates of one of His Majesty's prisons for several months would be an be excellent start.

For infringing a High Court Injunction sequestration rights to the Crown automatically apply - (miners strike, union fund seizures most famously) both to the individuals and to the organisation either planning or associatively involved.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

Things may be getting sticky for some of them. I read that some are on remand until early December. I imagine they'll get let out on-time served more's the pity.

November 10, 2022, 02:26:29 PM
Just checked and things could be stickier than I thought. Conspiracy charges that could attract a maximum of 5 years although I doubt they will.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/23110847.just-stop-oil-protesters-remanded-m25-action/

I see a lot of these arses hail from my neck of the woods...

Daniel Shaw, 36, of Adam's Avenue, Northampton, also appeared in court on the same charge.

Five others have also been charged with conspiracy to cause a public nuisance.
They are: Christopher White, 29, of Summerhouse View, Yeovil, Somerset; Karen Matthews, 60, of Sywell Road, Overstone, Northamptonshire; Ian Bates, 63, of Clarke Road, Northampton; Alexander Wilcox, 21, of Billing Road, Northampton; and Louise Lancaster, 57, of Burnt Close, Cambridge.