Overseas Students

Started by Alex, May 22, 2023, 09:19:41 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Braverman said there has been an eightfold increase in the number of visas granted to dependants of international students, rising from 16,000 to 136,000.

https://www.ft.com/content/9271fcba-f1a5-47ec-b48a-a49a2d3f94d2

klondike

What's 120,000 between friends?

Diasi

It's all a con, why does a student need his entire family to come with them.

How many of you went, with your entire family, to live in the area where your kid went to uni?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its husbands, wives, civil partners and kids. Its a good thing the government are limiting numbers, but bringing elderly relatives isn't possible for someone here on a student visa.

I can't imagine different universities publish different info, here's one that explains that the rules are changing next year.  Its very clear on who students can bring at present. 

'Who is a Dependent': https://www.dundee.ac.uk/guides/bring-your-family-uk-while-you-study-using-student-visa
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

It seems from the numbers that plenty want to come. We should scrap the ability to bring any dependents. Those with dependents should be looking after them in their own countries.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on May 27, 2023, 07:08:43 AMIt seems from the numbers that plenty want to come. We should scrap the ability to bring any dependents. Those with dependents should be looking after them in their own countries.

My feelings exactly.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

There are spoof education establishments that import whole families from the Indian sub continent and West Africa , allowing them to come here .
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 23, 2023, 11:08:38 PMThe visa system is complicated, but my understanding is that only those immigrants with settled status/citizenship can bring their Adult Dependent Relatives. They have to prove they can support these dependents.  People on student visas don't have the necessary status. 

Odds on its tilted in the 'Students favour'. By the time the 'lords' and 'Sir' Ed Davey lamp and his wets have savaged it, nothing will change anyway - as per normal - The Tories know and depend upon it, its their majorative strangulated raison d'ĂȘtre these days.

We 'put it up' aren't we good little Bozo's - Lords knock it back (nice one) - 'not our fault Gov' say the Tories - 'carry on no.1' says Sunak to Hunt, 'Steady as she goes' - 'Ay Ay Skipper' (responds the 1st officer with a big grin).
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

The real question is, "What are dependants?"

How about a muslim with four wives?  Four dependants... and each of their kids?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Jacqueline

If a "student" brings his wife and kids, do we supply school places for these kids? if so they are taking tax payers money.

Alex

Quote from: Jacqueline on May 27, 2023, 05:51:15 PMIf a "student" brings his wife and kids, do we supply school places for these kids? if so they are taking tax payers money.

Good point Jacq, I didnt think about that.   :upvote:

Raven

I don't understand why they can't study in their own countries if they have a partner and kids. I have no worries about the single teens coming to our universities.

GrannyMac

Some of our universities like the income! 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I'm sure they do, with 40% of students now from overseas.  Mega bucks, you'd think they'd be able to provide British students with a cut in fees.