Broadmoor

Started by muddy, Today at 09:43:38 AM

« previous - next »

muddy

The Old  Broadmoor was decommissioned in 2019 for the new £250 million pound building ( first stage ) next door .

The site 60 acres has now been put up for sale by the NHS for residential development.
Much of the Victorian buildings are Grade  two listed .

It's bang in the middle of prime residential Berkshire  .
I wonder if whoever buys it will convert the old buildings into luxury apartments as has been done at other Victorian  mental hospitals .

However this is Broadmoor that has housed horrendous murderers Sutcliffe , the Krays and murderer of Lee Rigby and goodness knows what other deviants .

The Feng shui must be dreadful surely evil must be soaked into the walls there .

Would you live in the old Broadmoor ? 

dextrous63

This is the kind of thing that horror movies have at their epicentre.

I suppose the irony is that anyone who actually ends up living there would probably have been a borderline candidate for the place when it was a psych hospital.

JBR

Perhaps the ideal place to house all our new 'guests'?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

No, no, no I would not live there.. I guess some younger buyers wouldn't even know of the Yorkshire Ripper.. Krays.. etc; So, it wouldn't bother them..

We had a big mental asylum .. Royal Earlswood..so called because the Queen's cousin was there for many years.. It has now been developed and called Royal Earlswood Park.. beautiful accommodation.. Many parts of the original building remains because it is listed..
Would I live there ? No, no.. Far too sad..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

muddy

I know Royal Earlswood as a sixth former we had to do voluntary work once a week .
I did it in Royal Earlswood .
I have a little story about it .
My brothers school friend had a difficult early life .
He was adopted but then the adopted parents parted .
His mother was left with four children .
Then she was killed in an accident the gas bottle in the kitchen blew up .
He was left in charge of his siblings .
He did all sorts of jobs to keep going one of which was working nights as an orderly at Royal Earlswood .
He was a clever boy and applied to Medical School and was accepted on the condition he gave up his many jobs .
He became a doctor and later a psychiatrist and was successful in life  .
When Royal Earlswood was converted to luxury apartments he bought one .
Because he could .
He had come far .

klondike

If it's unoccupied  for very long Capita will be taking it over for housing our unwanted guests from across the channel.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on Today at 11:57:23 AMIf it's unoccupied  for very long Capita will be taking it over for housing our unwanted guests from across the channel.
What an excellent idea!  I'd never have thought of that!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Be a better idea to house all politicians there, lock it up and lose the keys.

Alex

Good idea to house illegals ! :upvote: