ever more thrifty.

Started by alfred, February 12, 2022, 09:49:14 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

With recent expectations of just  about everything getting that much more expensive, will these circumstances make us even more thrifty as we try to find ways of making our money stretch that bit longer,

Q; do you have any thrifty ideas when it comes to saving money  if so will you share your thoughts with us,

Floydy

If you file down the edges of a fifty pence coin you can pass them off as a twenty pen Oh, wait...

Alex

Some good topics this morning Alfred !  I'm thrifty verging on tight  :yahoo:   I cut brillo pads in half, put a small amount of water in Fairy Liquid, but not the cheaper brands. 

crabbyob

lol...i hold the washing up liquid bottle under the running hot water tap, the spillage on the cap and stopper is enough for a washing up.... :smug:

Floydy

The best advice i can give and [especially to a larger family shop] is don't be a brand snob. If at all possible get yourselves to aldi and lidl as opposed to all the others and buy their brands. Just about every one is as good as the "big name" brands you're probably more used to but at often little over half the price. Many's the time i've looked into my trolley on the way out and thought what this little lot would have cost at asda or morrisons etc.

Floydy

If you own or hire a carpet washer (vax, rug doctor, bissel etc) don't buy the expensive shampoo concentrate that you need to put into them, there's loads of vids on youtube about how you can formulate your own for literally a fraction of the cost, and in my opinion it does a better job too. Remember this if you've some spring cleaning in mind for the coming weeks!

Scrumpy

I clean my motor with a drop of Fairy liquid in water.. I am sure it is as good as the dearer car shampoos..
I think someone mentioned on PF that the factories where some of the goods are packed use the same stuff but just change the label of the store it is heading for..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

crabbyob

i'm sure there is a very good reason why you shouldnt use washing up liquid, but i cant remember what it is...

Scrumpy

It hasn't done any damage to my motor..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

used washing liquid in the water on the very rare occasions that I have washed my car - been doing so for 50+ years without a problem
MIke
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

-Oy-

Life's too short to be thrifty.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Alex

I was brought up in an era when thrift was considered a virtue : Paul Getty  :grin:

zoony

Quote from: -Oy- on February 12, 2022, 09:53:30 PM
Life's too short to be thrifty.

That depends on two things; Income and life expectancy..

1955vintage

While I can be careful with money, I am a believer in SKI ing....spending the kid's inheritance. My daughter will do very well when I shuffle off this mortal coil, and if I spend some before then , she will not notice.

Friend of mine said after he retired ' If I do not fly first class, my kids will'
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

crabbyob