head injuries in sport

Started by Michael Rolls, October 24, 2023, 11:12:50 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

There is growing evidence of the links between early onset dementia and sport injuries' in contact sports such as boxing, American football, Rugby union and rugby league. Sports that participants clearly enjoy - nobody forces them to participate - but which places them at far greater risk of brain damage the the average member of the population. I boxed at school. but only because it was compulsory. Only fought a handful of bouts - it was introduced, IRM, until you were 13, perhaps 14. Only played Rugby - and then at very low introductory lived, Hampton had been a strictly soccer school until my last year - can't remember ever getting really clattered. In soccer. our sports master (very popular) kept reminding us that is FOOTball. not headball - wonder if he thought about injuries
One think that I have picked up, which I doubt many realise - a blow to the side of the head is far more likely to result in brain damage than one of equivalent force to the front or the back
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

There has been talk of banning boxing for years but it has never happened. If it were banned in one country I suspect illegal boxing which would be even more dangerous would start or maybe increase if it already is taking place. 

Rugby is a world sport and would need banning everywhere or changing to a game of tag. I can't see it happening.

If they had more protective gear on somebody would have to roll American footballers around the pitch.

This isn't my opinion as a sports fan in any way. I couldn't give a rat's fart if all sport was banned but my opinion as a realist - there is too much money involved.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Cassandra

I think the heading of the heavy old leather football, when sodden with rain all those years ago has sadly seen so many footballers, including the great Sir Bobby Charlton stricken with dementia.

Alternatively the young scammers in todays game feign 'head blows' because they know 'writhing' around on the ground as a wilful act of fraud is certain to stop the game ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

yes, a wet leather football back then was a blunt instrument indeed
[email protected]

Alex

Even if you don't follow football, these  names will be familiar to most.
Some famous footballers who died with Alzheimers or other forms of dementia, including 5 of the 1966 team !
Peter Bonetti, Bobby Charlton, Jacky Charlton, Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles, Ray Wilson. 

klondike

Plenty do without ever playing football though.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on October 25, 2023, 11:44:10 AMPlenty do without ever playing football though.

Yes of course they do, but the thread title is Head Injuries in Sport.

klondike

As so many of my replies in your threads seem to give you the hump for some reason I won't bother in future.

Alex

You don't give me the hump, but you do seem to single out my posts for, can I say nit picking !  Nowadays I find myself picking back, that's all.

p.s. I could find a few............. if I could be ar*ed

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on October 25, 2023, 11:34:11 AMEven if you don't follow football, these  names will be familiar to most.
Some famous footballers who died with Alzheimers or other forms of dementia, including 5 of the 1966 team !
Peter Bonetti, Bobby Charlton, Jacky Charlton, Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles, Ray Wilson.

Jeff Astle (WBA & England) aged 59. Danny Branchflower Spurs & N.I. aged 67 .

A medical report from 2019 shows that Footballers are 3 and a half times more prevalent to die of dementia ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...